It's Tutor Time Again

Author: inabodycastofglass

From: Archive Of Our Own

Original Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/6854272

Summary: "Tutor" from Will's perspective.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Will thought applying to be a tutor would be pointless. He would put his resume up and that would be it. He didn't think anyone even used tutors anymore, especially ones that went to public schools.

He was certainly not expecting to get a response a week later from a rich father, who lived in a practically mansion sized house.

Then he was expecting a lazy, bratty kid who rolled her eyes and just told him to watch TV while she did other things. But Hazel was very eager to learn, and focused on the task at hand.

And he was making bank doing it, too.

Someone came over the first day, looking for Hazel's brother, who was apparently upstairs. Will had been there for an hour and he wasn't even aware there was anyone else home.

He took advantage of the interruption to run to the bathroom.

He was in such a hurry to get back, feeling uncomfortable about wasting Hazel's father's money on his bodily needs, that he slammed, pretty hard, into said brother.

Not a good first meeting. He cleared his throat and held his hand out, trying for a confidant smile. "You must be Hazel's brother."

He stared at will like he was the monster in a horror movie. Probably because he looked like the type of kid who skipped school to smoke in a parking lot somewhere, and Will looked like the type who made friends with everyone.

"No."

He grabbed his friend and ran up the stairs, leaving Will with his hand outstretched, staring awkwardly after him.

He flinched when the door slammed, looking over at Hazel. "Did I do something wrong?"

Hazel shrugged. "Nico's not good with people. Who knows what his problem is."

They both looked up at the ceiling when Nico's muffled yells came through, followed by a crash.

"Should we check on them?"

"No. This happens all the time. But we should get back to work. I have a test next week."

Will looked back to where the two of them disappeared before returning to the couch beside Hazel to help her solve the problem she was on.

Will often tried to talk to Nico, only to get brushed off, then glared at from the top of the stairs, making him increasingly uncomfortable. But he just kept trying, even after he would have normally given up.

It occurred to him that he was getting a crush on Nico, and it was frustrating. He'd always thought that he was better than that. Falling for the emotionally unattainable jerk. But here he was, his eyes trailing after Nico as he ran off, his chest squeezing slightly.

But, then again, Will was a fixer. He fixed his siblings scrapes, and now he wanted to fix Nico, making him happy. So he really should have seen this coming.

He'd been invited to a big group dinner one Wednesday, off the clock, off course. And this little bubbling thing that he had wouldn't let him say no once Hazel told him that Nico would be there.

So he showed up, right on time, ringing the doorbell, and waiting for Hazel to let him in.

Something about coming by for a personal day made him feel nervous, like it was a date. Which was stupid. Nico wasn't even the one to invite him. Will had never even heard him say more than that single "no".