Education

ZANE POV

I walk towards Frey's office, finally done with my last class of the day. She'd forced me to go to school almost two weeks ago. At first, it had been... awful. The kindergarteners had been loud and obnoxious, and the fifth graders had laughed whenever I hadn't known anything (ie. All the time), but eventually, the little monsters had grown on me. I can't really explain it. I was rescued by the witches when I was five years old. For most of my life, it's just been me, the inner Monster, and those three old bats. Children... I don't really know what to do with them.

Every other day or so, Frey would come into the classroom and see how I was doing. I would scowl at her. I knew how to read, add, subtract. I didn't need school.

That being said, I can't say the classes aren't interesting. I can feel the demon inside of me liking it, too. It's just odd. I'd never really heard about wolves in such a positive light, or witches in such a negative one. One day in particular sticks in my mind. It was the kindergarten class, and Frey had just left in a hurry. Her Beta had called her or something. I remember being ticked off, because that d*mn Beta has her wrapped around his little finger, and I'm almost positive he knows it.

"Elise, I've got to go. I trust you to take care of my pups and my mate." Frey says briefly before turning tail and running to wherever her Beta had summoned her to. I scowled. That guy needs to lay off.

"Elise," a little boy named Zac says. "Why does Freysie take care of us?"

"Well, she's our Alpha."

Her explanation was weak, and I wanted to know more.

"Yeah, but that's just a title. Why does she take such care of the pack? The kids especially?" I ask. Elise looks at me, surprise evident in her eyes. I shift in the full-sized chair, thankful it wasn't the child's chair I had been forced to sit in my first few days in class.

"Well, we all know that Alpha Frey has had a hard life,"

"Those mean witches cursed her!" a little boy girl named Sophie called out, and a lot of kids seemed very disturbed by the idea of anyone harming their Alpha.

"They did, Sophie," Elise said. Then, more for my benefit than theirs, she elaborated. "They took away her emotions, and they killed the old Alpha's mate. Does anyone know why that's bad?"

"Because then he lied to get revenge and got kicked out!" Zac called out. Elise smiled, but it was sad. I was paying very close attention now. I hadn't heard this before.

"Right. And Alpha Frey was forced to become Alpha. Does anyone know why she doesn't stop taking care of us?"

"INSTINCTS!" the entire class cheers. I bite my bottom lip.

"Right. Even a witch's spell can't completely take away the level of commitment an Alpha has for their pack. Bruce, do you know why Frey takes such good care of you all?"

"Because we're her puppies!" he jumps in his seat, cheeks stuffed with food.

"Right. And one day, if your special bond with her doesn't go away, you could be her Second Beta, Second Charlie, Master Arms, Advisor, or—" Elise is cut off by Zac.

"Alpha Frey said that if she doesn't have her own baby I get to be her heir!"

"Oh." Elise blinks. Completely surprised. I don't know why, but a chill runs down my spine at the thought of the little kid being an Alpha in training. I look at Elise and she's giving me a pitying look. "That would be a very big honor, Zac,"