The Fifth Rift

The Sewer soon came back down and immediately went to find the next rift. "Sewer wait! We need a rest." Fallon called. The Sewer sighed, but nodded and sat down next to them. "So where is the next rift?" the Sewer asked. Fallon squinted at the Sewer, "I believe that it's in the workshop somewhere." he replied. The Sewer gave him a look and he sat back.

  A few hours passed and the threesome heard a poof and then frenzied muttering. "Ginger! Do you hear me, Ginger!" It yelled. The Sewer clambered over a wall of junk and peered down into the next little free zone. There a man with wild pink hair was yelling at a pot of bubbling goop. He was his mid twenties with fairly healthy skin and a lanky form. He had deep brown eyes and wore a ragged tweed coat and dark jeans. He had on a graphic t-shirt and on top of his pink head was a red top hat.

  He took a glass and then poured more goop into the cup. "Ginger!" he called out. The guy then drank the cup of goop straight down. He coughed and then his hair turned a nice shade of violet. Taking up a mirror he hissed in it and then threw it back down. The Sewer giggled and caused him to look up at it. "Hello there!" he called happily. He was grinning like an idiot and his eyes sparkled.

  The Sewer waved at him and suddenly felt very awkward and slid back down to it's side. "Hey! Wait!" the man called. Lupe and Fallon were in another argument and seemed to block out everything but each other. Suddenly the wall of stuff that the Sewer was seated against wiggled and the man suddenly slid down beside it.

  "So hello, my name is Spencer Tilkington. What's yours?" he asked. The Sewer looked at him, "I'm the Sewer. The girl is Lupe and that guy is Fallon." the Sewer replied. Spencer nodded enthusiastically, "Awesome. Why are you here though?" he asked.

  "I have to find a rift in this place. Do you know where it is? A huge hole in the oddest place with golden edges and an ominous feeling?" the Sewer asked. Spencer thought for a bit until his face lit up and he snapped his fingers. Sparks erupted from the tips of his fingers and in a frenzy the shop seemed to get sucked though hole. There was a frenzy of screams. Suddenly the whirring and crazed moving settled to a stop. A few loose items tumbled to the floor but other than that the shop was still. "Ow... Ok! Now we came move! You see the shop has rearranged itself in such a way that if we follow this path we should be at your rift soon." He explained.

  The Sewer got up and saw that Lupe held her hand up for Fallon to help her up. Fallon of course ignored her, "I can't help such an unimportant person up." he said. Lupe got to her feet and then immediately threw him back down to the floor. The Sewer ignored the two as they began to wrestle yet again and turned to Spencer. "Lead the way." the Sewer said. Spencer looked at the two fighting, "should we help them?" he asked. The Sewer shook it's head, "No. They're responsible for themselves. Now lead."

  Spencer took the Sewer down the path and stopped only long enough to pick something out of the massive walls of stuff. After a few short minutes the rift was in view. Once again the ominous feeling happened. There in it's depths was the scene of a city with canals instead of streets. The smell of bread and fresh food wafted though and made the Sewer wish that it could eat food. "Hello Sewer. Seems that you didn't heed my warning." Cera's voice sounded. She was sitting on top of one of the piles of random junk with her legs crossed. In her hands she played with a knife. "who's this?" Lupe asked. She had caught up with the Sewer and was staring Cera down.

  "I see you've picked up another misfit." Cera said offhandedly. Lupe's jaw set and her nostrils flared. "Now Sewer, let's chat!" Cera snarled as she leapt from the pile. However it was Lupe that countered the blade. "If it's a fight, I'm the one you're going to want to fight." she hissed. She managed to blow Cera back by sheer brute force. Cera slid to a stop and hissed. She came at Lupe and then began to kick and slice. Lupe gracefully countered each attack and returned them. Then Cera landed a kick to Lupe's jaw. However Lupe gripped Cera's foot and took the demon with her as she flew over the wall of junk into parts unknown.

  The Sewer was at a crossroads. It wanted to just close up the rift but at the same time it wanted to help Lupe. The choice was already decided however. Lupe suddenly crashed back into the isle where Spencer, Fallon, and the Sewer were. Cera was nowhere to be seen and Lupe was holding her stomach. Spencer immediately rushed over to her to try and help. "I need you to let me see." he said. Lupe hissed and recoiled from his touch. "Quit it!" He whined at her. Eventually he was able to coax her to let him see. Her stomach was sliced open nicely and bleeding profusely.

  Her breathing was beginning to labour and her skin was getting paler by the minute. "Oh crap. Let me get something." Spencer muttered as he quickly disappeared with a snap. He reappeared a few minutes later with a vial in his grasp. He wasted no time in getting Lupe to drain it. Once Lupe had finished it she looked a little better but she was in no condition to be moved. "She's alright I think. However she could still go either way." Spencer muttered. All of his childish delight extinguished. The Sewer felt horrible. It should've fought Cera, not Lupe.

  The Sewer was sitting on a pile of junk messing with a gizmo when Fallon came to get it, "It's Lupe. Come on." he said. The Sewer got there with godspeed. Lupe was in bad shape. She was slick with cold sweat and her breath was in shirt shallow gasps. Her eyes flicked over to the Sewer's and she seemed to feel a bit more at ease. "T-tell me... Is the creator... A nice man..." she asked quietly. The Sewer nodded mutely, what could one say at a time like this? "...Good... Thanks for the adventure... Even if... It... Was..." she didn't even finish her sentence before she passed on. At once the breath left her and her body shuddered in death throws. Once she shuddered her last, Lupe's body lit up and suddenly dispersed into golden spores. "What happened to her?" Fallon asked. "She wasn't meant to be in this realm. Because her molecular structure was not of this world she broke apart and was dispersed back to her own realm." Spencer explained.

  The Sewer sat there numbly. It had just seen someone die. And it had been it's fault. Getting up the Sewer walked toward the portal, "Hey wait!" Spencer called. The Sewer looked at him wondering what he wanted. "I... Um, could I come along?" he asked awkwardly. "No." the Sewer said. Spencer looked taken aback, "B-but...." He whimpered. "One person that came along is now dead. Do yourself a favor and just stay here." the Sewer said. Turning swiftly the Sewer went and entered the cut in the universe. As it turned around Fallon and Spencer dropped through. "I thought I told you to stay!" the Sewer spat. "Listen you, two things. One, I didn't wanna stay! Two, you're incomplete." he said childishly. "Then you pull your own weight and i'm not responsible for you. And incomplete?" the Sewer said. Spencer squealed and suddenly produced a bag, "I'm ready to go!" he called out. The Sewer looked at him funny but decided to ignore it.

  So they turned and looked at the noisy city. All around them people called out. Soon enough all of their voices blurred into white noise. The Sewer suddenly got taller and leaner. It grew long luscious chestnut brown hair. "Nice look for someone incomplete." Spencer muttered. "What?" the Sewer asked, it's voice a very rich soprano. Spencer waved the Sewer off with his hand. Deciding to let it go the Sewer turned to the rift. Fishing out the spool and needle the Sewer quickly went to work.

And so the fifth stitch was spent.