1//

*• 1998 •*

Seagulls called to one another and the sea responded for them with a heavy wave against the beach as I watched every movement around me, watching the people who crossed the boardwalk and the sand below me. It was mid-summer and all the tourists had flocked to the beach for one last run at the good English weather before it turned bad for the last half of their vacation.

I've been sitting on a bench beside the steps leading down to the beach since this morning, people watching and getting inspiration from the awkward and silly nomads that seem to find enjoyment in Teignmouth. My hometown isn't filled with every much. We're a seaside town with... nothing; I think.

"Hello?" A boy asked over my shoulder as I sharply turned around to look at him. He had long, blonde hair and grey eyes that examined my face as he smirked at me for startling me out of my trance. "Sorry. You're Grace, right?" I nodded my head in response as I smiled up at him for I just remembered who he was too.

"Dominic, yes? You were in a year above me. Didn't you just graduate?" I questioned as he came around the bench to sit next to me. This boy was fairly popular with the girls in my class and well known for his charming looks, amazing charisma, and skills on the drums. "Look at you going out on a limb, staying in your hometown and living with your family still. I applaud you."

We laughed at my joke and he corrected me, saying that he wasn't going to attend college but continue with his band. I had forgotten he belonged to a band with two other boys in my grade, a Christopher and a Matthew. He asked if I had any plans after school and I just shrugged my shoulders in response, not real sure of what I was going to do.

"You got a whole year to figure it out. It's not like everyone's been preparing you for college for years," we laughed once again and I brushed my hair behind my ear as the wind picked up. "What were you doing out here, by the way? Most townspeople stay at home and distance themselves from the hustle and bustle of this tourist trap."

"It gives me some headroom, I guess. I like to stare at these people and act like I've known them forever, avoiding them on purpose or maybe it's 'cause it allows me to get inspired," I responded as Dominic nodded his head in approval and lounged back in his seat next to me. "But these people are definitely weird."

I giggled at myself and crossed my arms over my stomach as I heard the blonde haired boy sigh and look to the sky. Dominic didn't really seem like the kind of boy, a once popular, well known, and rock star wannabe, to talk to me, a standalone, daydreamer, and studious young teen. He did surprise me when he looked at me with a glimmer in his eye and a smile on his lips each time he talked to me since sitting down.

"Hey, Grace, I was wondering if you wanted to, um, wanted to watch my band perform sometime?" Dominic asked as I looked over at him and nodded my head profusely, making him smile bigger. "Cool, means a lot to get new fans or even to just get people to listen to us. We actually play tomorrow at Gillian's Pub if you could make that."

"Of course, I'll try and make it. Anything to support a local band, even if they do got a cute drummer," I said slipping a little flirt in, hoping Dominic didn't notice. He didn't as he was too busy playing with the buttons on his shirt to pay attention to what I was saying. "I just don't know how I would get there. The pub is across town, isn't it?"

"Yeah, and don't worry. I can give you a ride," Dominic offered as I blushed at his generosity and accepted his offer. "I just gotta know where you live. Can't go house to house and asking if a Grace lives there, now do I?" He laughed as I giggled along with him and said I was going home now if he wanted to walk with me.

We left the boardwalk and entered town as we passed the business district, going into the residential area of Teignmouth. I've traveled all across this town for years and know it like the back of my hand so this time I took the long way back to my house to spend more time with Dominic who seemed to want to continue talking with me too.

"Isn't Matthew and Chris in the band too? I've heard them talking to each other about it once before," I commented as Dominic nodded his head and said that they both sang and played guitar. "They sing? I've barely heard them speak let alone sing." He laughed as we rounded the corner and made it onto my street.

"You know I've heard that the quietest person has the best vocals, just wait until you hear Matt belt out his lyrics. They'll lull you to sleep and keep you wanting more," he stated as I stopped walking and stood at the front of my lawn. I smiled at him and asked what time he would be around to get me. "How's six? Matt wants me there early to set our equipment up and sound check and stuff."

"Fine by me," I grinned widely as we stood there hoping one of us would move first. "It's a date then." Dominic laughed again and waved to me as he went back down the street we just walked. I couldn't believe that I was going to be hanging out with the adorable Dominic Howard tomorrow.