Number of Rak'ah/units of Salaah to be offered

Number of Rak’ah/units of Salaah to be offered:

>>'Aishah (ra) reported: The Messenger of Allaah (saws) used to perform eleven Rak'ah (of Tahajjud) prayers at night. He (saws) would prostrate so long as one of you might recite fifty Ayat.

Thereafter, he would perform two Rak'ah before Fajr prayers and would lie down on his right side till the Mu'adhdhin would come and inform him about the time of (Fajr) prayer.[Al-Bukhari]

Commentary: This Hadith tells us that it was a practice of the Prophet (saws) to sleep on his right side after performing two Sunnah of Fajr prayer. It also tells us that he used to make long prostrations in Tahajjud prayer, because one gets closer to Allaah in a state of prostration.

This Hadith also stresses on utmost concentration in Salaah as it is highly pleasing to Allaah and there is a greater possibility of acceptance of prayer which is made in a state of prostration.

>>'Aishah (ra) reported: The Messenger of Allaah (saws) did not observe more than eleven Rak'ah (of Tahajjud), be in Ramadan or any other month. First of all he would perform four Rak'ah. Ask not about their excellence and their length. He (saws) would then perform four more Rak'ah; and do not ask about their excellence and their length. Then he would perform three Rak'ah (Witr prayer)

('Aishah (RA) added) I asked: "O Messenger of Allaah! Do you sleep before performing the Witr prayer?"

He (saws) said, "O 'Aishah! My eyes sleep but my heart does not sleep."[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: “My heart does not sleep” signifies that “usually I am not so overwhelmed by sleep that I miss the Salaah”.

Some people give a difference interpretation of this by saying that his Wudu remained intact as his heart was awake. This is one of the attributes of the Prophet (saws).

This Hadith stresses on performing Salaah with full concentration because this is the way of Prophet(saws). The real beauty of Salaah lies in performing it in accordance with the Sunnaah of the Prophet (saws)and with full peace of mind.

If one is confident of getting up in the later part of the night, one can perform witr after Tahajjud prayer; but if one is not sure of getting up at the time of Tahajjud then it is better to perform witr after Ishaa prayer.