Chapter 2, The Mirror (Part 1): The Beach

It was the time during their trip to the beach for training at Maki'sbeach house (S01E10). By this time Eli had already went out with Umi a coupleof times but they haven't been to the beach yet. Umi, being a masterstrategist, had slowly yet gradually implanted the idea for µ's to go to thebeach to Honoka. Without realizing Honoka finally suggests a training camp.    

Eli and I had already finished our lunch that day 2 hours prior to our practice. I did bring my lunch this time unlike the other day, though my cooking tasted nothing like hers. I would very much mind if she shared any of her food with someone else. I also had always liked her tea.

Ever since I hung out with this particular senpai, my diet had improved drastically. I couldn't resist her complaining how I had not eaten enough protein for my strength or dairy products for my bones. As if she had always looked after me, and I would like for that to be true as long as I could. I may not be her Alisa, but I would be happy to have her as my sister.

'Sorry for troubling you, Eli-senpai,' I called as I reached for my training gear that was in Eli's bag. It was there since that morning I visited her house for tea, that I couldn't find another bag to stuff my clothes into that I used the same bag for school. Eli quickly noticed it before we left her house, which she offered to share her gym bag.

'What are you talking about, Umi? You don't have to apologize for anything. Besides, we're alone in here.' Eli commented as she was ready to unbutton her shirt. Silently I felt as if the sun was in the same room as us, yet I could not resist looking away. The way she intentionally undress, to show herself, the thought of it along was getting me warmer, even burning in that changing room but I was frozen solid. The more Eli removed her buttons the faster my heartbeat gotten.

A little snicker came from her peeking at me, looking at her. 'Umi, it's embarrassing if you kept looking.' With no hesitation or complaint in her voice, she went on as if this was normal.

I snapped, 'Ah! Sorry! I was... I... I didn't m-mean to...' Still startled as if the frozen Umi was being cracked and crushed bit by bit and instead of melted; for it would be an easier way to die off this shame. 'I didn't mean to stare!' I said cowardly and ran to the corner of the room with my set of clothes, facing the corner where there would be no possible way my senpai could see my embarrassed face, nor my face facing the embarrassing body of my senpai...I mean... I was pretty sure Eli had her sinister titter on. But we went on to change since the others were waiting for us.

'It's an inferno...' Nico reviewed just as Eli and I reached the top of the stairs to meet the rest of the µ's. 'It's stupid. Why would we practice in such heat?! I mean, it's so hot even bees would take off their yellow jackets.' This was met with a stern silence. 'Okay, how about this: It's so hot, to make holy water, you just got to boil the hell out-' she went on but interrupted.

'Don't be like that,' Eli countered. 'Let's hurry and practice. I want to get our daily training over as quickly as possible, so we could learn the new choreography I've been meaning to train all of you – this really need all your cooperation.'

I partially agreed that the roof was like on fire that day, thought I didn't get Nico's joke; I heard someone said, get out. On the other hand, Eli was right and she did know what I was thinking. We had to be focus on our practice if we were going to perform well especially for our next live. The roof was the best place to have a practice, as we could have space to ourselves and have music as loud as we could, but at the same time the Sun seemed to be liking our practice recently.

However, just as Eli commanded such order like a general in her training ground, Hanayo jumped and took a cover behind Rin. Understanding her being two years younger, I would have done the same, but that wouldn't be the case for me, as I knew her commands were beneficial to us as well. This was during that time where we were still treat the third-year µ's as upperclassmen. And the first-year towards the rest of us as well. A vicious cycle that I too did not like.

'Then how about we go on a trip together!' Honoka suggested.

'What?' Nico replied quickly. 'Where did you get that idea from?'

Unanswered, everyone eventually agreed on the idea anyway. An Idea that I slowly introduced to Honoka, that gradually and unconsciously claimed it was hers. Over the past few weeks every time they talked about the hot weather I always brought up how they could have use that to their advantage – visit the beach. After a while she eventually found herself thinking of going to the beach when I said it was hot outside. It was the perfect plan and was at perfect timing. Just a piece of the puzzle missing.

'Fine,' I replied as if I had to agree since everyone was so eager to go, 'so how will we pay for the trip?' I opened the forum.

But in my time of having a quick discussion, this matter was closed quicker than I had expected, with Maki's reconciliation, 'Fine, I'll ask my parents.'

It was done. Everything was set for our visit. Eli wanted to go the beach with me since our date on the roof, that I thought she meant was training-wise thus I quickly made a schedule for us to do during our excursion. For me, that was the easy part. Since Eli was really suggesting and pursuing that we go, I thought I would make the best out it for her sake; I made the itinerary condensed, and I made sure she liked it too.

We took the rest of the days preparing for the awaited trip, and we set to gather at the station. We packed light, but enough for us to have both, a great training and a great time training.

On the day of the trip, as soon as we reached the station, Eli gathered everyone to talk regarding the things she said on the phone, the night before. Thus, a small circle was made near the ticketing area. It seemed that Nozomi-senpai had already known what Eli was going to announce as I did too. 'I have made one rule to this trip' she said, 'and that is: there will not be any "-senpai" allowed.'

In her surprise Honoka exclaimed a little too loud. 'No "-senpai" allowed?'

'It has been bothering me for some time, although honorifics are important but we're in a group and we can't be disturbed by formalities.'

Without hesitation I added, 'I agreed.' It was my natural instinct to reflect on her decision at this point, but I didn't know why I said that and I soon began to regret it. Something that the rest of the group did not know, was that I had not been using "-senpai" for Eli for quite some time when we were alone – though Alisa might have picked that up by then. This happened after Eli and I had an argument, and that we were accompanying Alisa. Eli invited me to stay for meal after we talked, and in my sheer moment of joy with the two, I accidentally called my senior by her name, in which Alisa asked about our relationship. The part when Eli initiated this familiarity, happed long before that – one occasion and complication when we were on a date in my first year, when Eli was busy with her work but decided to meet me instead. But this is a story for another time.

Before I realised, it was settled. 'Sure, sounds good to me,' Honoka said before she gasped for air and spouted 'Eli-chan.'

Then a pause came to me. Like the clock that wasn't ticking. Everyone stopped at their spots, laughter were halted.

Suddenly I was not thinking about the beach nor the plan anymore. A sudden speedbump that I had to stop without knowing why.