Chapter 3, The Mirror (Part 2): The Flight

It was still during their trip to the beach (S01E10). Umi has feltsomething that she did not expect, almost unfamiliar – jealousy. Eli knows thatsomething is bothering her, and it was set that her mission was to soothe Umiback to her usual self.    

Her white shirt sat on her shoulder gently and tucked under her Malibu blue skirt, with hair that swung from side to the other without she realised. I couldn't see her face but it was gloomy before we started walking to the bus. This was Umi, the girl I had been so close with, some one special to me who deserves a throne in my heart.

With the rest of the gang, Umi and I had planned to go the beach. For a long time, I had longed for this trip to be an excuse, so I could have some time with her to a place so beautiful. I did not mind the others coming, but I couldn't dare myself to invite her so privately for a holiday just the two of us. And we knew that sometime around now, we needed to good trip to celebrate the return of Umi to my arms, or vice versa. But sadness was not what I expected from her.

So I finally tapped her shoulder as I caught up to her.

'Hey, Umi?' I asked pulling her softly as we fell behind from the group for a space for privacy. With a sudden realisation that we had already bought the tickets, Umi looked surprised and turned to me.

'Ah, sorry,' she replied. 'It's nothing I guess. I'm all fine.' Tilting her head to a degree forcing a smile as if it was a decree.

'But I haven't asked you what's wrong yet.' I commented with uneasiness. Her refuted smile was gone. Only a blank stare was left. There was something in those yellow jade eyes she displayed. As if everything was paused for her – I was sure my watch was still ticking and hers too. Everyone got further away from Umi and I, but not a good thing either. Even their laughter continued. With a sigh I resumed her thoughts, 'there's no point forcing you to tell me what's up, or that you don't have to tell me. Nozomi can sit with Nico.' I decided grabbing her by the hand and towed her towards the bus and the rest of the µ's, whom already called for us the third time. 'Today you got to share the seat with me. Next to me, of course.'

Then, the girl I was holding who was gloomy had adesperate look combined with a joyful smile her face. It was as if she wassaved by a goddess of her expectations. Well, Umi had been clingy to me the forpast few weeks and I could not blame her, and I couldn't say that I didn't likeit because I did.    

In the afternoon just as soon as we arrived, later that day, we changed to our practice gear. We had already explored out Maki's beach house from top down. Nico seemed pretty competitive for some reason. Not long after we arrived, all members of µ's were standing in front of Umi, including myself, to brief us of the plan.

'This is our practice itinerary,' Umi explained as she pointed to the two pie charts filled with practice activities. An urge I wanted to say out loud with a pout, 'how about strolling the beach with Umi? I want a romantic time on the sandy beaches! And I want to hold hands.' I guessed Umi read my mind when I told Nozomi I also wanted to practice, but this wasn't the one I had in mind.

I heard Honoka and Nico complaining from the side line, and I tried the beset I could to calm down Umi on this intense training. 'I agree on its importance, but I wonder if everyone could take it, or that everyone would vote to agree on it.'

'Everything will be alright with a burning passion in our hearts!' Umi expressed with eyes widened, already burning those fuel. I jumped as she stared directly at me, blushed and embarrassed. I thought to myself, Umi, you're too direct!