chapter 2

I sat in the hall of the fine arts building, my arm thrown over my eyes and my back leaned against the wall. I was always tired. I could feel as energetic as possible, I could be bouncing around and talking up a storm, but that's only because I take my medicine.
          My medicine gives me energy, it tries to make my body think that I'm happy. But there's always the burning behind my eyelids, there's always the pain in my back. When I don't take my medicine, things go downhill. I get cranky, I get sad, I become so exhausted I can barely move. I usually forget to take my medicine. I took it today.
          I get confused when I hear the door open. People never came down here during lunch except me, so who could that be? I looked around the trophy case, my eyes landed on Beth to my surprise. "Hey fuck twat." She said, stuffing part of a pop tart into her mouth.
          "Hey, what do you want? You know I hate when people fuck up my naps." I whined, scooting over to make room for her to sit next to me.
          "I just figured I come to check on you." She said. I could hear the hidden question behind her words.
          I sigh, "Beth I'm fine. People get dumped all the time, its whatever." I mumble. I closed my eyes, trying to make up for sleep she's disturbed.
          "Well obviously you fuck munch, but I know you had high hopes for this one." She flicks my forehead, making me jump and my eyes pop open. Before I can reply with a smartass remark, a loud sound slams into our ears and the building begins to shake.
          The glass on the trophy case shatters, the trophies falling out all together and breaking into pieces. Dust falls onto us, and Beth yells in fright.
          "Fuck!" I shout over the loud clattering of band instruments and theater sets. I grab Beth's hand tightly, terror shooting through my heart. "Come on!" I scream, pulling her up with strength I somehow mustered together.
          "What the fuck is happening?" She shouts as I pull her into the theater.
          I ignore her question and rush to the stairway leading to the pit, where the band plays during musicals. "Just get down there!" I yelp as I feel the ground shake once again and I lose my balance, letting go of Beth's hand and falling down the stairs. Beth grips on to the railing, desperately trying to keep her balance.
          I lay in the floor, my head pounding and the ground sending waves of movement into my body. I cough, trying to get words out of my mouth. "Get down here." I wheeze out, my lungs feeling lifeless of air.
          Beth rushes down, her balance wavering every step. She wobbles towards me, and a booming sound rings out again. The ground violently shakes and she falls, landing on me and wincing in pain. I have no time to think about the pounding in my head, I wrap my arms around beth and roll under the ceiling on the pit.
          The sound comes again, but this time much closer. Me and Beth scream as the ceiling caves in, bricks falling to the floor and the vibrations on the ground shaking us senseless. I lose my senses for a second, everything appearing sideways and in pairs, and my ears begin to ring so loudly that I'd think the school bell was right by my head.
          Another booms rings out, and I can feel hot wind slapping my face. I grasp Beth's hand as I hear her shout, and the force of the wind slings my head back, hitting the wall. That's when everything went black.