Chapter 8 - Headache

Your eyes fluttered open and squinted at the bright light. They soon adjusted, and you noticed that you were lying in a bed. You sat up in the bed, still squinting, and a soft object fell into your lap from your forehead. Reaching down, you realized it was a cool, damp cloth. You glanced around the room you were in, your vision landing on a tall and blonde figure who was buttoning his dress shirt and watching you.

"Commander?" you quietly questioned.

He walked over and gave you a hand to help you out of the bed.

"How do you feel?" he asked. "Also, you can call me Erwin behind closed doors."

You nodded.

"I have a pretty bad headache," you replied, rubbing your forehead above your left eyebrow.

He nodded, looking down at you.

"You can stay here as long as you'd like in order to recover," Erwin stated.

You looked at the ground, and noticed you were wearing one of his button-down shirts. You preferred not to wonder how he got you into these clothes.

"Thank you," you replied. "I assume you were the one who helped me in that alley."

"I was," he said. "I'm just glad to see you're safe now."

"You shouldn't have helped me," you slowly replied, rotating your head upwards to face Commander Erwin.

His eyes pierced your form.

"You weren't able to defend yourself there," he replied. "I saw them drag you into the alley from this window and I went to help you."

You were quiet.

"I didn't want to watch you get hurt or see you injured," he continued, running his hand through a few strands of your (h/c) hair before letting his hand fall to his side.

Remaining motionless, millions of confusing thoughts coursed through your head as you tried to analyze Erwin's actions. Were you thankful? Happy? Ticked? Perhaps it was a combination.

"Erwin....? Do you...?" you cautiously began to ask.

He then leaned forward, smoothed the palm of his hand over your cheek, and planted a soft kiss on your lips. You tried to remain stoic before your face slowly broke into a smile and you closed your eyes, embarrassed.

You heard a little chuckle emit from his chest as he pulled you in for a hug. You moved your hands around the back of his body and clutched onto his shirt lightly.

Then, you pushed away from him quickly in revelation.

His facial expression changed to one of concern.

"Is everything okay, (Y/N)?"

"Wouldn't it be a problem for us to be together?"

He was quiet to let you to continue.

"I mean, you're the Commander of the regiment," you stated. "Plus, I'm obviously considered to be a corrupt soldier. What if everyone thinks I haven't been 'caught' because you've been providing immunity for me?"

He remained silent. You took a step back from him slowly, furrowing your brows.

"Did you only try to help me because you found me to be attractive?"

He took a step towards you, gently reaching out for your wrist.

"I won't lie to you, it was part of the reason," he softly said in order not to anger you. "But I could tell you would make a very good and valuable soldier after I met you. You're very dedicated and well-educated, it would be a shame if you weren't a solider."

You didn't move and stared into his wide eyes. He held your other wrist in his other hand, grazing it with his thumb.

He then slightly leaned over and cracked a small smile.

"...Although I will say I was stunned when I first met you."

You allowed yourself a small laugh and relaxed a bit. His hands moved up to your shoulders, and you became aware of your headache again.

"My head is still throbbing," you said with a slight grimace.

Erwin nodded. A light shade of pink then dusted his face.

"I need to leave for the wall," he replied, finishing the remaining buttons on his shirt. "Will you still be here when I get back in a while? You can sleep if you need to."

Your face burned slightly at his question.

"Can I?" you quietly asked. "I don't want to impose at all, nor continue borrowing your bed and clothing, but I'm kind of scared about showing my face again so quickly and-"

He cut you off.

"As I said, you can stay as long as you'd like," he replied, then planted a kiss on your cheek. "It would be a pleasure if you stayed."

You nodded and blushed harder.

"I'll be here then," you responded.

He straightened himself and smiled. Then, he walked out the door.

You turned away from the door and stretched your arms towards the ceiling, trying to think of a way to freshen up a bit before he returned. Spying another door, you opened it and found a private bathroom behind it, and so you entered for a quick shower.

After exiting the shower, you slipped on another one of his shirts, hoping Erwin didn't mind. You then made your way over to the bed once more, took a place under the fluffy duvet, and fell asleep, your pounding head questioning the validity of Erwin's words and actions.

____

Please check my quotev account for more updates to this story!