Part Five

Christine

I was meeting Steven today.

I hadn't told Ryder. I knew he would freak out if I did, and wouldn't let me go. But I couldn't just not be friends with Steven, no matter how hard I tried. We'd been friends forever.

I pulled up in front of his house with my mother's car. I didn't have one of my own, and Ryder usually drove me wherever I needed to go. Mom had seemed confused when I'd asked her for the keys this morning.

Steven opened his front door to greet me. "Hey, Chrissy," he said, giving me a tight hug. "Long time no see."

I nodded. "Yeah, long time no see.

He led me into the den, which was in the back of the house. He asked me if I wanted anything to drink, but I shook my head, and explained I couldn't stay long.

He scoffed. "So Ryder really does control everything you do. I'd thought Nicole was exagerating."

I shook my head. "He does not control everything I do. I'm here, aren't I?"

"But does he know you're here?"

I didn't say anything, and it was answer enough for him. He sighed, not seeming to know what to say.

Things had gotten awkward between us. Scarily so. I didn't know what to do about it, and apparetly, neither did he.

"So...um...."

I stood, unable to stand it a moment longer. "I have to go," I said, turning toward the door. He snatched at my wrist, pulling me back.

"Wait!" Slowly, he let go of me, not meeting my gaze. "Could you just...stay? Please? We never get to see each other any more."

I sighed. "I know, but..."

"But what?"

I looked at the ground. "Ryder will be angry," I murmured. "And I don't want to make him angry."

"He doesn't hit you, does he?"

My head snapped up, my eyes widening. "No, of course not! He would never-"

"Good," he whispered, standing up so that we were right on top of each other, his hands on my hips. "Because I might just have to hit him if he lays a finger on you."

I shook my head, distressed. "Steven-"

His mouth crashed against mine, and his hands tightened on my hips so that I couldn't get away. This wasn't like the first kiss, though- that one had been painful, disgusting. We were in private now, with no audience, and he was being gentler than he had before.

I pushed back as much as I could, gasping. My eyes were wide. "Steven..."

"Shhhhh," he murmured. "Don't worry about it." His lips connected with mine again.

I stood rigid for a moment, unsure, before I slowly let myself defrost and hesitantly moved my lips against his.

His kisses were different from Ryder's. Ryder always kissed wildly, with abandon, like he was going to hell for kissing me and wanted to make it worth it. He also kissed possessively, dominating the kiss.

Steven was gentle, hesitant. He let me initiate and control the movements and wasn't forcing anything on me. It was like he knew, somehow, that I wouldn't pull away.

I wrapped my fingers in his hair, pulling his head closer as his fingers ran up along my spine. I shivered, a slight smile nipping at the corners of my mouth. He rubbed his thumbs in small circles against my lower back soothingly.

We could have been like that for seconds, minutes, a half hour- I lost track of time.

It wasn't until my phone buzzed that we stopped.

I pulled away, reaching into my back pocket even as Steven tried to pull me back. "Let it go to voicemail..." He said, but then trailed off when he saw the look on my face.

Ryder.

Ryder was calling.

What had I just done?

I ripped myself away from Steven, turning my back to him and fumbling for my coat.

"I-I have to go," I said, my voice trembling. "He'll keep calling until I answer. Bye Steven."

"Wait, Christine-"

I pulled the front door closed behind me and ran to my car, peeling out of his driveway and racing down the steet. Only when I turned the corner so I was out of sight did I realize I was crying, and I pulled over to try and get a handle on myself.

What had I done? Ryder didn't deserve this. But I couldn't tell him, because if I did I would loose him forever.

My phone buzzed again. I glanced at the caller I.D., already knowing who it was.

"Hello?"

"Christine? Are you alright, sweetheart?"

I wanted to break into another fit of tears at the sound of his voice. "Y-yeah, I'm okay," I said. "Just watching a really sad movie."

"Oh yeah? I just stopped by your house."

"I'm at Nicole's."

There was a pause, and then I heard him sigh softly in relief. "Alright. Do you want me to come pick you up?"

"That's okay. We'll finish up the movie in a few more minutes and I should be home in about half an hour."

"Will you come over to my house afterward?"

"Of course."

"Alright. I love you, Chrissy. See you then."

"Love you too. See you later."