Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Wanting to tell someone, anyone, Julie paced on her front porch with a troublesome letter addressed to her from a man who said he fell in love with her. It was an invasion of privacy a nameless man watching her jog, being so close, telling her his sexual fantasies. Whoever he was. Julie had been a waitress at a fancy restaurant, afternoons, where she'd served businessmen lunch which must have been where he'd met her.

It was 9:30 in the morning. Kyle was on a job. Nate and Jeff, her teenage boys, were in the barn. No one would miss her now. Burning to talk to someone she walked to the end of her driveway and gazed at Debra's house. It was strange seeing the house now. The towering lightning rods, the scary old place that simple-minded people whispered about. Who would have thought that someone like Debra would live there? Someone who didn't fawn over tea and cupcakes, the pretense for idle talk among PTA and 4-H women around here. Debra was different. Julie was sure of it.

She crossed the road and jumped the ditch, sparrows chattering on wires above which flocked to Debra's catalpa tree when Julie walked under it. It was funny how she noticed the birds just now, like they were following her just for the sake of little-bird gossiping. Debra was sprinkling roses that seemed to flourish since she'd been there.

"Hi Deb," Julie called out as she neared.

"Hi." Debra pulled the hose for the length across the lawn. "I've been meaning to call you this morning. You won't believe what happened. You know that swing set?"

"That old thing?" Julie had no interest in this and it showed in her face. But that was alright with Debra. Julie's remark was an acknowledgment. Julie had seen it, touched it, washed it off her hands, too.

"The strangest thing - it collapsed out of the blue, and when . . . ."

"I'm surprised it was still standing."

Debra stopped short. Julie had said what she needed to know, that she'd seen it upright. That's all she needed. So instead of going on about it Debra said, "It's a wonder it didn't fall in sooner."

"I'm going to have one of my boys chain Otto to an anchor. I've got one that screws in the ground about two feet down. That ought to stop him from being a nuisance. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner." Julie fidgeted with her hand in her pocket, crimping the edges of the letter. "I want to show you something. Just between you and me, I got this in the mail today." Her back to the sun Julie handed the letter to Debra. "I don't know who sent it."

The sun in her eyes Debra asked Julie to come inside, and unfolded the page as she walked. It felt good to be the one who Julie trusted with something so private. Whatever this letter was Debra was glad for it. Glad that Julie picked her above anyone else. They came in the kitchen by way of the garage and utility room and sat down at the kitchen table, Julie watching Debra's face as she read.

Julie,

You don't know me, and I really don't belong to the church. I put this letter in a church envelope, so your husband wouldn't open it (if he's like most men). I feel as if I have known you for years and finally got the nerve to write. I used to see you at lunch every chance I could. What a disappointment I had when they told me that you quit. I secretly asked questions about you in hopes to talk to you someday. Well that day never came. As with most things I do in life, I gave up. I still want to see you. If I don't, I will hate myself for not trying. I just moved to a new development two months ago, and to my surprise, I saw you jog right passed my house Thursday night. Well, that did it. Almost blew my mind! You are so pretty! I love the way you look. I have never felt this way for anyone before. I must be crazy to write this, and you must think I'm a nut! But I have to tell you that I love you. From the second I saw you I knew I loved you! Well, don't panic, I too am married and won't make any moves toward you, but I had to let you know anyways. I won't tell you my name because of feedback, but I will tell you I'm married, got three kids, and am 40 years old. You have been in my dreams every night since I first saw you. Even when I make love to my wife I see your face. As I said before, I won't approach you, but I may write again, or if you're brave enough, jog past my house again on Thursday about 7:00. I will be outside. I do trust you; please don't get me in trouble. You will always be my lover in my mind and heart! Smitten

Debra looked up from the letter. "This is serious. What are you going to do?"

"There's nothing I can do. Even if I knew who wrote this he isn't breaking any laws. I don't plan on meeting him; although I'd like to know who sent this."

"I don't know what I would do if I got something like this."

"The worst part is he knows where I live. He might be looking in my windows. He could even be stalking me."

"Julie, think. Are you certain you can't think of anyone who might have written this?"

"Not an inkling. I can't tell you how many men I waited on in that restaurant. Mostly businessmen, and for the most part they seemed normal. I'm a waitress. Being nice to customers is just part of the job."

"Has Kyle seen it?"

"He was the one who got the mail this morning. He read it before I got the chance and then he asked me 'what the hell is going on' as if I knew who wrote this. Do you mind if I grab some water?" Julie helped herself to Debra's kitchen cupboards. "Where are your drinking glasses?"

Before Debra had a chance to stop her, Julie stumbled on her mismatched collection of cups and glasses. It would have been embarrassing for anyone else to see how little she had, but Julie didn't draw attention to it. Debra read one line that was particularly disturbing, 'When I make love to my wife I see your face.' Makes me wonder what he was doing when he wrote this. Makes me want to wash my hands."

Julie exaggerated a wide-eyed stare. "Next time he sees my face I hope he sees me slap him."