Chapter 2

Chapter 2

February 15, 1997

Reaching into his other pocket, the man pulled out a card with a single word on it. His mentor would not be happy about leaving evidence, but he couldn't help himself; he had to let them know he was the one responsible.

Blood spattered the now shattered windshield, the holes evident where the bullets had exited the car. Both bodies were now slumped forward, looking like rag dolls, waiting their turn on the shelf for the next kid to choose them to play with. Another shiver ran down the man's spine...he had done it! And it had been so easy. He couldn't believe he had been nervous about it.

The man dropped the card to the floor as he pocketed the revolver with his gloved hand. Exiting the car on the passenger side and running up to his own vehicle, he quickly slid into it. Turning off the flashers, he pulled into the road and casually accelerated to the speed limit.

After five miles, he pulled off of the road again, turning onto a one-lane gravel road. Traveling for a hundred yards he then stopped, exiting the car before entering a black SUV. Driving this out to the highway once again, he turned back the way he had come, soon approaching the scene he had so recently left .

A patrol car had just pulled up behind the couple's car and had turned on its beacons.

"I'd love to see his face when he sees what's in there," the man beamed. Looking forward again, he moved on past the police car and continued toward his destination.

Pulling into the deserted city park, he eased the SUV into a dark corner of the parking lot, throwing the keys into some bushes as he exited the vehicle. With his hoody already up, he stuck his hands into his pockets and started the long walk home. His instructions were to lay low for a couple of weeks and not do anything out of the ordinary; he would be contacted when the time was right.

Barely able to contain his excitement, the man desperately wanted to stop at his favorite bar to celebrate. Thinking again of his mentor's warning, he decided against that plan, opting instead to continue home and start on that twelve-pack he had stored in the refrigerator.

He knew if he went to the bar he would want to spout off after a few drinks, and he also realized that he could not afford to do that. He would wait, knowing someday he would be able to share his exploits. People would listen and admire his courage; the "Ghost" would be famous.

***

The lights of the patrol car were flashing off of the windshield of the darkened truck, mixing with the water droplets as they ran down the glass in an eerie display of shimmering color.

The Mentor was observing the cop as he discovered the carnage within the car. Since the dark truck the Mentor was using blended easily into the shadows of the stormy night, the hooded figure felt safe from observation even as the excitement built from deep within.

Finally seeing enough and not wanting to be accidentally discovered, the person known only as the Mentor slowly did a u-turn on the otherwise deserted road, turning on the lights only when out of sight of the flashing beacons.

Smiling at how beautifully the plan had come together, the Mentor mentally started working on details of the next step. Rolling down the window as the truck entered the city limits; the Mentor threw the cell phone out the window when the truck crossed the bridge into town.

The man had done as he promised; he had executed the plan...and the driver! The added bonus of an extra victim was just icing on the cake.

"That should get the ball rolling," the Mentor mumbled as the truck continued on through the town, heading towards home to get some sleep.

Tomorrow would be a busy day.