Chapter Five.

I didn’t dare look at him during breakfast. The words he had said earlier were flooding my mind up. I couldn’t even focus on eating my toast. My mom noticed I wasn’t eating as she finally broke the awkward silence.

“Honey why aren’t you eating?” she said as I dropped the toast on my plate and dusted my hands down slowly, glaring at her as I hated her when she called me that.

“I’m fine mom.” I said as I picked up the toast again, not wanting to upset her as I took a small bite. I felt Frankie’s eyes on me, looking at me as I ate.

He was studying me.

 For some odd reason.

I chewed slowly as my mom smiled, before drinking her coffee slowly in her favourite blue mug. I was still chewing slowly, not wanting to swallow it at all as I wasn’t enough hungry enough for breakfast.

The awkward silence was broken as Frankie coughed lightly before speaking up.

“I have to go see my girlfriend.” He said as I suddenly choked on my toast, causing my mom to gasp and panic. I coughed hard until I swallowed the piece of toast which almost took away my life.

Frankie has a girlfriend? Since when?!

“Alright then” my mom said calmly as she got up slowly, guiding Frankie towards the back kitchen door for him to leave. I slammed my un-finished toast on the empty plate as I pushed back the chair and got up angrily.

I had no idea why I was acting like this at all. I stormed upstairs, thanking God they didn’t hear as they were already outside the house. I got into my bedroom then slammed the door before leaning on it and sighing out loudly. I dragged my hand down my face slowly.

Frankie has a girlfriend. And he doesn’t even act like he does.

I groaned lightly as I slapped myself. Once. Twice.

Maybe he was just doing this to get me jealous?

I thought to myself even more as I went over and slouched down on my bed, thinking to myself as I hugged onto my pink fluffy pillow tightly, wanting it to be Matt.

I closed my eyes tightly, not wanting to cry as I kept telling myself he wasn’t worth it at all. I couldn’t help but sigh slowly as I remembered the days he would climb up to my window each night to tell me goodnight.

I have to be strong. I aren’t going to get into a muddle with a guy all over again. Think straight Crystal.

“Cause baby you don’t know a thing about me, you don’t know a thing about me…” the Kelly Clarkson song was turned on suddenly as I realised it was my phone. I rolled over onto my side then reached out for my mobile and took a hold of it before bringing it back to me.

I stared at the screen for a while until my eyes hurt, the song was drowning my ears until it was the only sounds I could hear.

Speak of the devil, it was Matt.

I trembled lightly as I put the phone down on the bed, watching it ring as I listened to the song lyrics. A part of me wanted to pick the phone up and listen to the boy who broke my heart..but the other part of me was scared. It couldn’t confront the fears. At all.

“What’s the worse that can happen?” I asked myself as I clicked ‘answer’ and held the phone to my ear.

“Hey baby” the voice said as I closed my eyes, trying to think of something to say. But the only words that came out were.

“What?”

“Am I not allowed to call such a beautiful girl ‘baby’?” he said in his low, soothing voice.

Before I knew it, I started to blush. Thank God this conversation was behind a phone. I stuttered lightly before finally replying back.

“Is this some kind of sick joke?” I snapped at him as I tried not to get angry. I heard him sigh lightly before replying.

“Maybe.”

“Well if it is, it isn’t funny.” I said slowly, making faces at the phone as I waited for him to reply back. Instead, I heard a girly giggle in the background followed by a chuckle. I knew it wasn’t Matt’s chuckle.

“Fine be like that. I have to go, Amber and Frankie are here. Bye idiot.” He said before hanging up, the beep was sounded from my phone as I clicked my phone shut.

“Amber?” I said to myself as a flash of her picture flashed in my head. Bright blonde hair, dark green eyes, head cheerleader. I laid back on my bed, fiddling around with my phone as I smirked lightly to myself.

Matt hates me. So does Frankie probably. Not to mention Amber is probably his girlfriend.

But why should I care?

I thought to myself as I kept fiddling about with my phone, staring at the blank screen.

You don’t have to be un-single/taken to be happy…

Right?