Chapter 12

How could I ever forgive Carlton. My father. He killed my father!

But anger wasn't the emotion in control right now. It was fear.

I was definitely scared of him now. He killed my father, tried to rape me and he didn't seem fazed by that. He was perverted and disgusting. The Carlton we all knew wasn't there anymore. I knew he wasn't holy but not a monster.

"I don't even know you anymore" I said with tears flowing down my cheeks and anger completely gone from my voice. It was filled with disappointment.

His head lowered and rested on my shoulder.

He sighed.
"I don't even know me anymore"
He sighed again.

I was scared he would kill me after he just told me he killed my father. Of course he would. I was definitely telling the police.

As if reading my mind,
"Please don't tell anyone. Please, I'm begging you please"

"And why shouldn't I?"

He pulled back from me and looked in my eyes.

I started to shake.

Oh God. He's going to kill me!

His averted to the ground.
"Just please"
His voice was soft and tender. Was he going to cry?

He looked up at me and I saw his misery. He was fighting with his guilt and conscience. But I couldn't just forgive him. I wanted to make him. Make him feel the pain I was feeling.

"I can't just make you walk away like that. What good would that do me? You won't feel the burden of being punished or the burden that someone hates your guts and will never forgive you.

"You hurt me bad, Carlton. I hate you more than ever. Out of all people I never expected this from you. You were there! You saw what happened! And yet you try to do the same thing to me?"

I shook my head try to block the images and feelings coming back to memory.

"No Carlton. You have to feel something for what you did to me"

My vision was blurry with tears. I was shaking like a leave in a hurricane. I could feel my pulse at the end of my fingertips.

His other hand found its way to my face. His thumb wiped away the tears on my cheek. His other fingers played in my hair.

"You could kick me, stab me, cut me to a million pieces. You could tie a bomb on me. Throw me off a cliff. Tie my to the bottom of the ocean. You could torture my soul till eternity but nothing would hurt more than you hating me"

My jaw hung open.
I think my ears are failing me.

He did not just say that to me. Did he. No he couldn't. Why would he?

"What did you just day?" I asked a little breathless.

He smile played on his face.

"I said I would rather die than you hate me"

"Why?"

"Because it would hurt much more than a slow painful death"

I could have caught a fly.

"Why would you say that?"

His eyes glanced at my lips then back at my eyes. His smile disappeared.