Chapter 38

“I believe that would be you, now. There those of us who have taken command of one group or the other, but there are too many different groups present for one commander. However, I think that everyone will be willing to follow you,” Amorrt replied after telling the knight the way to the tower, leaning back slightly so his head was against Konah’s shoulder.

            “What? But what about the commander of the recruits? Or you?” Valerie asked, frowning.

            “The recruits’ commander went to the palace for orders just prior to the invasion,” he said. Val winced and he continued. “And, as you heard my cousin say, I am an exile. They will not follow me. They would not follow Izarra either, at least most would not. She would shout orders and we would ignore her, at the least because her orders were often nonsense if not pointless. Before you tell me she wished to help, let me tell you that for as long as I have known her, her entire life, she has only been concerned with increasing her own importance. She has no interest in this war, beyond keeping her position as princess, and has spent most of her time attempting to sabotage you.”

            “But why would she start that?”

            Isaac chuckled. “It’s not start sweetie. I recognize her,” he said with a nod at Izarra’s unconscious form that no one had yet bothered to move. “She’s been telling people you’re crazy since we got to the palace. Course at the time I didn’t know she was talking about you. I think I mentioned it to you.”

            “You became the centre of gossip stories. You outshone her and her highness has long disliked those who gather more attention,” Miette said, moving to stand just behind Valerie. “Most of the rumours about me when I first arrived started with her highness.”

            After digesting that, Val turned to Amorrt. “How long will that keep her asleep?”

            His lips quirked up into a half-smile. “Sadly not as long as the batch I had attempted to use on Darren. That I had gotten an additional magic boost added to it by a wizard. This will only keep her asleep for a moon or so.”

            “Pity. Ah well, I suppose we’d better get all the leaders together and get ourselves sorted. We’ve wasted enough time as it is,” she said, shrugging.

            “If you will follow me, my lady, I will escort you to the command tent,” Konah told her, bowing though he kept one arm around Amorrt’s waist.

            “Thanks.”

            Trailing behind the northern prince, Valerie got to see far more of the camp. In the centre of the camp seemed to be the original core of recruits, their tents in almost neat lines. Several heads were poking out to stare as she went by so she gave a little wave. Almost instantly the heads disappeared.

            The next layer out appeared to be a combination of militia members and the handful of soldiers who either escaped or weren’t in the palace during the attack. All the tents of the Armitihian army were pale green. The next layer out looked to be made half of volunteers and half of the some soldiers she didn’t recognize. That lot were in yellow uniforms with hints of blue, their tents the lighter shade of corn silk. The outer layer seemed to Valerie to be Konah and Amorrt’s allies though there were colours besides the Methussian purple and silver.

            She frowned again and asked, “It’s not as busy as I’d have thought it’d be.”

            Konah bowed his head. “Many of the troops are drilling, my lady. Since the arrival of your allies, we’ve been able to extend the training of the recruits, militias, and volunteers.”

            “Don’t you mean ‘our allies’?”

            He shook his head. “No, my lady. Most of our additional troops will only take orders from you.”

            Amorrt snorted. “One of the reasons my cousin spent so much energy in her sabotaging attempts. She knew, as did we all, that more than half the army will only follow you.”

            “But I don’t understand how that happened. All I did was try to find more people to help. It wasn’t like I was trying to take command. I thought there’d be one of the higher-ups in the military here and they’d know what to do. I don’t know how to lead an army!” Valerie cried, stopping to stare at them, face at half-colour.

            “You could have fooled me,” Amorrt replied, his hands on his hips, something he’d learned from her. “We have heard reports from the militias of you ‘putting the fire back in them’ as they told us. We have heard how you rescued the enchanted knights, all who have sworn themselves to you. There are the Ifelian soldiers, more than half of them here because you saved one of their king’s closest friends from bandits which convinced the king that you are strong enough to win. Then there are the three companies sent on the orders of one of the godmothers, who has heard of you from my godmother. And finally, there are, and I do not have any idea of how you managed this, the dragons. I have never heard of dragons aiding humans in war. Ever.”

            Her chin rose as her hand mirrored his pose. “Yelling at people and beating people’s faces in are hardly the traits needed to lead an army. What about military strategy, and tactics, and knowing how people fight?”

            Konah bowed, one hand dropping onto Amorrt’s head as the shorter prince began to glare. “That can be accomplished by us, my lady. All of us who lead the groups will know what our troops are capable of and where they will be most effective. However, we need someone to follow. You are the figurehead of this army, the one who brought many of us here and one who has fought valiantly already for the sake of Armith. You are the only choice as leader and the only one who everyone will follow.”

            Isaac moved up beside her grinning, stopping the argument he knew by the downwards turn of her lips and narrowed eyes she was about to stop. “Now come one, sweetie. You did say you’d do anything. And besides, being good at yelling at people and beating the stuffing out of others are hardly bad traits to have as the leader of the army. All you need to do is look pretty and kick ass. The former will be easy and given some time and supplies, I can help you with the former. Probably.”

            She glared at him for a moment before the tension drained out of her, making his grin widen. “Ha ha. You’re a riot. I suppose if I don’t have a choice…”

            His smile became a smirk. “You don’t sweetie. Now let’s go meet the leaders. I bet at least some of them will be decent eye-candy.”

            She shook her head but followed him. “You’re awful.”