Dreams

Tell me why!

Does everything that I love get taken away?

From me!

Why?

Does everything that I love get taken away?

You take me to the edge

Push me too far

Watch me slip away

Holding on too hard

Tell me

Why?

Does everything that I love get taken away?

From me?

Tell Me Why – Three Days Grace

I needed to make sure my mom or dad can't find Mark hiding in the corner, and I knew exactly how to do that. I went into the hallway and opened the door of the small room next to mine. Quickly I grabbed a mop and the bucket full of water that mom had put there, so I wouldn't have to carry it upstairs when I needed it. I pushed the door closed and made my way back into my room.

"Mark? It's only me." I whispered after closing the door.

A quiet "Phew, okay..." came from behind my closet. I took the mop and started wetting the floor, wall to wall.

"Watch your feet, Markimoo." I warned.

"Huh? What do you me-" The cold water reached his bare toes and he yelped.

"Jack? Is everything alright?" a voice called from downstairs, followed by the sound of footsteps on the staircase. Panicky I wiped at the few remaining dry spots, put the mop and bucket next to my bed and jumped onto the mattress. The moment I grabbed a book from my nightstand there was a knock on the door and my dad stuck his head in my room.

"Can I come in?"

"Not really, I've mopped the floor and it's still wet..." I replied, without lying in fact.

"I see. Well, we just wanted to know if you're okay, your mother and I heard shouting from upstairs."

He eyed me up and down, checking my state.

"I'm fine, I nearly slipped while getting another book from the cabinet, that's all."

His eyes met mine and he kept looking at me for a while. I desperately hoped he couldn't see in my eye that I was hiding something, I'd never lied to him or my mom before. It had never been necessary up 'til this point.

"Alright then, good to know you're safe and sound, even on your own. Mom's going to start making dinner soon, so make sure you can leave your room by then."

"Will do!"

Dad backed away from the door and closed it, leaving me with my heart almost beating too fast to count the pulses. I didn't notice I was holding my breath until my lungs started aching, and gasped for air.

"... Is he gone?" Mark's voice came softly from his hideaway.

"Yeah, the coast is clear. You can come over here, just pay attention because the floor is slippery."

He shuffled to the bed and sat next to me. I looked at his eyes, they were still his usual chocolate brown.

"You weren't afraid." It wasn't really a question, rather a statement.

"Indeed. Somehow I knew I was safe this time, I had trust in your weird and panicky plan." He said and smiled.

It felt good to know he had faith in me, it would make the whole 'keeping things a secret'-thing a lot easier. A silent noise caught my attention, I recognized it as the sound of plates clanking together and pans being moved on the stove. We glanced at each other and I saw that he already knew what I was going to say.