Monsters

It's hopeless, the end will come and wash it all away

Forsaken, I live for those I lost along the way

And I can't remember how it all began to break

You suffer, I live to fight and die another day

Fade Away – Breaking Benjamin

I paced back in the direction of the entrance but I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at the wall surrounding the park's domain. I decided to follow the wall, that way I would end up at the gates sooner or later. Indeed, after only a few minutes I saw the top of the gate above the cage I stood behind.

I started walking around it and saw that it was the first cage I'd stumbled upon, the one with the snake-like lady. She was still there, now sitting with her back leaning against the stone wall at the back off the enclosure. I glanced around to see there wasn't anyone near, so I took my chance.

"Hey..." I whispered to her, not wanting to startle her in any way. She looked up and seemed to recognise me, but she didn't move or say anything. Couldn't blame her, I wouldn't trust anyone either, but I just wanted to do something for her.

"I... I know it doesn't help you in any practical way, but honestly, I don't think you're a monster."

She kept staring at me, clearly confused. I crouched down so we were on the same level, hopefully giving the signal that I meant no harm.

"I mean, out of all the women I've seen here, you are the prettiest. Your hair looks really nice and again, if I'm honest, I've never seen more beautiful eyes than yours."

I brought a hand up to my hood and pulled it back, revealing my face and hair to her. Her eyes widened, but she shuffled a bit closer. I sighed and scratched my neck.

"I just wanted to let you know that... The people here don't know real beauty, or even more important, that real beauty lives on the inside and not on the outside..." By the end of my sentence she sat right by me, and a faint but genuine smile appeared on her lips.

"Thank you..." She whispered, her voice hoarse and small, and she put a hand through the bars. Gently she put her slender fingers on my face, the tips just reaching the bright green tuft of hair sticking out of the hood. "Be careful, and be free. You should live outside of this place for us, live that life for me and the others who can't."

A tear welled up in her eyes, but her smile didn't falter.

"I-I will, I'm so sorry I can't help you..."

"You already helped me, you're the first person who actually spoke normally to me in so long. Now, before anyone sees us, go and keep away from here. It's not worth risking your life too."

She let her hand slip from my cheek and looked me straight in the eye. I was trying really hard to keep all tears away, but eventually the first fell and it wasn't the last for sure.

"Just remember that what you told me applies to you as well. Don't let anybody tell you you're not beautiful, because out of all people I've seen today and the days before you are the only one who came closer to me, and actually wanted to talk to me. You're amazing, and I'll never forget this."

I was already starting to back away, but suddenly something came to my mind. "What's your name? Your actual name?" The question surprised her, but her smile took back over within seconds.

"Myrna, nice to meet you." She grinned. I saw a flash of sharp fangs, but it didn't shock me.

"The pleasure is all mine, Myrna! My name's Jack."

We exchanged smiles for a moment, until she motioned towards the gate. I just nodded, waved at her and got on my way. After passing the gate and the two men still on both sides of it I made my way to the meeting point my parents had chosen. It was by a small bench behind one of the houses, out of view from anyone on the streets.

I slumped down on the bench and let my head hang back. The sun was shining, bathing me in its light and warmth. I felt hot, but I didn't want to take the risk of taking my cloak off. I got an extra reason now to stay away from people, I promised Myrna and that was a promise I intended to keep at all cost. This would be the absolute worst timing to go and act all risky...

I tried to enjoy the sunshine we rarely get here, but my thoughts always got pulled back to the park. A sudden realisation hit me hard, like a bullet straight to the head. My parents visited that place every week, for enjoyment, just like all those other visitors. I started feeling sick from the idea that my mom and dad also had their share of the fun of watching those poor people locked up in cages, just because everyone else considers them as freaks. It felt as if I ate a brick for breakfast this morning, one question always coming back. Did they think the same way about me?

"No... That can't be... Why would they still keep me then?" I whispered to myself, to get some kind of confirmation of my parents' goodwill. I calmed down a bit, trying to focus on other things until my parents would arrive here as well.

====================

I was reading in Jack's history book when I heard the front door and voices downstairs. I quickly put his book on the nightstand and hurried over to the closet when footsteps sounded on their way up. It was probably Jack, but I'd rather be safe than sorry so I hid in the corner again.

"Mark? You still in here?" A familiar voice called and I stepped out of the hiding place.

"Here I am! You're not getting rid of me that easily..."

He chuckled shortly and took his cloak off, revealing the messy green hair he'd kept under the hood of it. Something was off though, I had expected that same bounciness and joy from before but instead he seemed quite down.

"How was it?" I tried to ask with some extra enthusiasm, but his already weak smile fell completely as soon as I did. He let himself fall on the mattress, and when I came closer to sit next to him I saw that his left eye was filling up with tears.

"Hey, whoa... What's wrong?"

"I-It wasn't a c-circus..." He muttered in between short sniffles. "It w-was a park, some kind of exhibition... with people on display..."

Jack's shoulders started trembling and he didn't take his eye off his hands, tightly clutched on his legs.

"What?! Really?" If that park was what I thought it was, I'd perfectly understand his reaction. Did they really have a permanent freak show in the village? That's just sick...

He nodded. "Yeah... There w-were people in cages, a-and others came to see them and laugh at them and... Those visitors treated them l-like monsters!"

His sad mood seemed to make room for some anger, the hands in his lap forming fists and the tone of his voice got a sharper edge.

"Oh... That's awful..." I said carefully, I didn't want to worsen his mood.

"It sure is! I managed to talk to a lady there, she was so nice... She didn't deserve to be there!"

He'd raised his voice, but remembered to tone it down. The last thing we needed was his parents coming for a visit. He told me all about that "Killjoy's Park" in between tiny sniffles, and the more he told me the more my disgust and worries grew. I mean, technically we were both freaks as well, so this made the whole not-getting-caught-thing even more important. I didn't really feel like spending my eternity locked up for all the townspeople to see.

"... And then I passed through the gates again and I found the meeting point. I just waited for mom and dad, and as soon as they arrived we left..." He finished, the tears on his face had dried and he'd let his hands relax again.

"Wow... You know, earlier today I was wondering what you guys would be doing at that moment, but I surely didn't expect that..." I admitted.

He looked at me with a faint smile.

"Don't worry Mark, me neither."