Chapter 3: Coffee spills

"Grande iced soy caramel macchiato upside down for Nadine!"

"Grande iced skinny caramel macchiato upside down with extra shot for James!"

Nadine dog eared the page she's currently reading and walked towards the counter.

A guy wearing an army uniform from head to toe, a huge army bag pack on his back walked to the counter the same time as Nadine.

She grabbed the cup that's closest to her, while the army guy grabbed the remaining cup. They both read out the names written on the cups at the same time.

"James." "Nadine."

"Nadine?" the guy wearing an army uniform faced her, a smile forming on his face. Nadine looked up to see a face resembling someone from a memory of a particular night some months ago. "Rob?" she inquired confusedly as she read the name written on the cup again, "James?" The army guy was about to open his mouth when someone from the couch called out his name.

"James, I'm gonna be late for my flight. Hurry up!" The remark came from the tall, slender and fairly pleasing face of a woman who seems to be out of a magazine's front page. Nadine was about to walk away to avoid embarrassing herself in perhaps some mistaken identity scenario when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Nadine," James called out. Nadine turned her head, her eyes gleaming with hope and her face inviting him to continue with his expository. Basically she looks like a puppy looking forward for some treat. "Uh my coffee?" He followed through hesitantly. "Oh yeah I think this is yours, I'm sorry about that Rob. Uh I mean James." she said with emphasis as she read the name written on the cup and pushed the coffee towards him. She extended her arm to hand him his cup as he walked towards her. He immediately felt coldness from his waist down.

"Oh no! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I was just going to hand you your coffee but then you walked towards me and so this happened." She blabbered while making weird hand gestures that made her look like an aspiring rapper.

"James, we need to go." Said the woman who is now standing beside James and checks her wrist for the time as she dragged her luggage and proceeded towards the door.

"I'm sorry Nadine, I have to go." He said abruptly as he made his way to chase after the woman, his pants dripping wet, his boots making the squeaky sound.

"I'm sorry." Nadine said to herself, embarrassed and confused of what just happened. "Excuse me Miss, we would like to replace your drink." came from the barista which snapped her off her deep thoughts of self-destruction. "No, it's fine. Thank you. I'm just going to leave now. Sorry about that." she pointed to the mess in front of her as she quickly walked towards her table and grabbed her stuff.

...

"Hey, wait up! Amanda!" James said panting. "Here's the key to your condo. I'm sorry about the mess I made." The woman said as she steadied herself and her luggage, her eyes on the ground. "It's alright. Thanks for home-sitting it for me while I was in camp. I'm glad Steve wasn't fussy." James smiled and reached out for her hands. "He's totally fine with it. We sometimes camp at your place. Use your bed and all." She said as she tapped his shoulder. "Oh my god Amanda, I'm burning my mattress tonight." They both laughed. "I guess this is it. Goodbye James." She gave him a peck on his left cheek, pulled her luggage and walked towards the direction opposite James.

...

Out of sight. Out of mind. Or so she thought. But the morning scene at the coffeeshop bothered Nadine all throughout the day.

YassiSassy: Nadeng, meet me at CBTL Raffles. I want to intro you to someone. 6.30pm sharp. HA!
Nadengsky: I'm not sure, I might have to stay longer to finish a project.
YassiSassy: Anu ba! Nag-OT ka na kagabi eh. Give yourself a break. 6.30pm SHARP. SEE U