Chapter Five The Eve of Battle

11th June 1944

Dr Jennie Holmes, Captain Robert Roullet and their unit of twenty horsemen had been tracking the SS Battalion for three hours now and, as the setting sun ominously caused the sky to bleed, the convoy had started to encamp.  They had not made much headway; thirty kilometres at the most.  They did not seem to be in much of a hurry as they made frequent stops to loot and burn down farmhouses and outbuildings with their flame-throwers - taking a particular delight in roasting the livestock.  They'd also had a skirmish with another unit of the Resistance which Jennie assumed to be communists.  They'd had problems with three of their tanks breaking down and holding up the column.  Jennie was familiar with the Mk IV Panzer which was first produced in 1937; it had a top speed of almost 25 mph and a range of 130 miles.  It was powered by a Maybach V 1.2 gasoline engine.  Its armour was 50mm thick and it sported a 75mm gun. Its greatest advantage however, was its two-way radio which enabled it to keep in contact with other tanks.  In Spain this weapon had been the most fearsome.  It was even worse than the Stuka divebombers with their natural engine howl enhanced into a banshee-like scream by the Jericho Trumpets attached to their landing gear.  But now, since the Allied bombing raids on the German armament factories and the destruction of many bridges and communication routes, they were having a problem with new models and spares.  This Battalion had had to cannibalize one tank to provide spares for another two.  Jennie did not like to think of the bombing of German factories, she'd heard that the Nazis were using prisoners from the concentration camps to work as slaves in them.

Jennie enjoyed riding her horse.  She'd learnt the advantages of having horses whilst fighting the fascists in Spain.  They would be able to harry this totally mechanized Battalion and when their jeeps and motorcycles tried to chase them they could lose them on their horses by galloping over the lightly wooded terrain or pick their way through dense woods, jump over hedges and fences and even swim across rivers and small lakes.  She would wait until dawn before attacking them.

Robert had posted sentries for the night.  Jennie drank some water and ate some cold meat and stale bread and then wrapped herself in a blanket and lay on some pine branches which she had gathered and spread over the ground.  She avoided thinking about tomorrow; they all knew what to do, they'd all done it before.  Her mind went back to reminiscences of her dead husband, Harry, who'd been killed by the Germans.  God how she missed him and wished he was beside her now.  As soon as they had met in Barcelona there had been an immediate chemistry between them.  Yes, there was a war going on and yes, almost everyone was feeling promiscuous - you never knew if you would see tomorrow and so you lived for today.  But there was more to their relationship than the wonderful sex; he was intelligent, principled and had a brilliant sense of humour; he could walk into a room and start a party and could drink anyone under the table.  Funny that she should consider that an attribute!  She missed her little girl too; but Phoebe was safe and sound having been evacuated to Harry's parents in New York.

          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sturmbannfuhrer  Adolf Dickmann was totally unaware of any impending attack as he sat brooding in a classroom in a schoolhouse on the outskirts of a small village.  In front of him was a large table with a map spread out together with a veritable feast of food looted from various French farms including hot, spicy sausages, a leg of mutton, a variety of legumes, bread, an assortment of delicious cheeses, four large jugs of beer, a flask of vin rouge and a bottle of eau-de-vie.  He studied the map to follow, and attempted to comprehend, the reports he'd received about enemy troop landings which had commenced six days earlier at Normandy.  There were amphibious attacks and airborne landings combining American, British and Canadian troops.  He didn't look up as his two most senior officers entered the room.  Haupsturmfuhrer Otto Kahn and Obersturmfuhrer Barth looked at each other as Dickmann remained staring at the map.  After five minutes of awkward silence, Kahn coughed and said "Excuse me, Sturmbannfuhrer, you wanted to see us?"  Dickmann remained transfixed to the map for another few moments before looking up at his officers and drawled "Yes".  His eyes were watery with large bags under them.  He looked haggard and the worse for drink.

"As you are aware, gentlemen, the enemy have attacked the Normandy beaches with a large show of strength and we have been ordered to join in a counter-attack at Cherbourg.  The area has many ancient banks and hedgerows which make it difficult for our tanks to attack but we are under direct orders from General Rommel, who has arranged for other units to attack and soften these first.  Help yourselves to some food and drink.  How is the morale with the troops?  I have faith in our own Germans, Austrians and the boys from Alsace but what about the others - especially those that were captured on the Eastern Front? "

"I have full confidence that they will fight bravely; they detest Stalin," said Kahn whilst behind him Barth looked rather doubtful.  Dickmann chose to ignore him.

"Pull up chairs and join me for a drink.  We'll toast to another famous victory."