Chapter Thirteen Auschwitz Nazi Science

Paul Dickmann bade farewell to Baer and followed a guard in the direction of the hospital and was taken to Josef Mengele's office.  When the guard knocked on the door it was opened by a middle-aged female nurse.  He was surprised to see a large nursery filled with children, toys and single beds.  All the children looked clean, healthy and well-cared for.  Dickmann found this rather bizarre as none of them were Aryan.  Even more surreal was that most of them were twins.  "I'm afraid that you've caught the doctor unawares, he wasn't expecting you until tomorrow.  But come along with me anyway and I'll see if he can receive you."

As he followed her through the room he noticed an area marked "NEW ARRIVALS".  It was walled-off from the other children.  The children here were all Jewish and looked extremely thin and malnourished.  They were all twins and were rank, dirty and ill-clothed.  They left the room and walked down a windowless corridor until the nurse stopped outside a door marked 'Dr J Mengele'.  "Please wait here a moment," she said.  As she opened the door and entered the room Dickmann was shocked to glimpse a man in a white coat, who he recognized as Mengele, bending over a child strapped to a chair.  He was injecting something into the eye of the screaming boy.

The nurse swiftly returned and, closing the door behind her, said "The Doctor will see you shortly.  I'll take you to his office."  He was shown to a large walnut door which was beautifully carved with large eagles wearing crowns.  This opened onto a very exotic room where crystal chandeliers dripped from the ceiling and Italian Renaissance works of art hung on the walls or stood upon the floor and shelves.  Adding to the opulence was an antique desk, leather chairs and settee, luxurious red carpets and velvet drapes and a well-stocked drinks cabinet.  On the desk was a book by Ernst Rudin.  Dickmann recognized the title, 'Law for the Prevention of Hereditary Diseased Offspring".  On one of the walls was fastened a wooden board to which photographs had been appended.  Dickmann wandered over to it and perused them.  They were all in colour and were predominately close-ups of eyes.  He studied a line of pictures entitled 'Series 97 - Specimen 67' and saw a row of eyes which looked identical except there was a general colour change going from brown to a murky bluish-grey.  There were several sets of similar photographs under different headings.  He examined another set in which two young twin brothers had been gradually and systematically stitched together at the spine.  None of the specimens were Aryan so Dickmann was not really concerned.  Helping himself to a large cognac from the drinks cabinet, he reflected that scientific experiments were necessary in order to eliminate the sub-species from the planet.  As it is painful for us to see such creatures, he mused, how much worse must it be for the poor unfortunates to see themselves.

His ruminations were interrupted when the door flew open and Mengele strode into the room, his unbuttoned white coat flowing behind him like a shroud.  His eyes and mouth smiled warmly but his mane of thick black hair, which swept back over his head from a short point in the middle of his low brow, gave him a sinister, satanic appearance.

"That's an excellent idea, Herr Dickmann.  Please pour one for me will you?"  As Dickmann poured a large measure of cognac into another crystal-cut glass, Mengele continued, "How's your brother Adolf these days?  The last I heard was that he was in Central France sorting out the Bolsheviks."

"Yes, Josef, he's kept very busy these days - all the froggy commies are crawling out of the woodwork.  I believe that my secretary informed your secretary of the reason for my visit.  Those devils at the EC Bank are on our backs all the time lately nagging us to inspect all the camps and factories that they financed in order to safeguard their investments.  It's a real pain!  I keep telling them that these places are managed by scientists who know much more about health and safety than us mere pen-pushers but they refuse to have their anxieties alleviated.  I sometimes think that they put mere commercial interests above their love for the Fatherland."

"Surely not, Paul."

"Exactly, Josef!  Why, Herr Baer has just demonstrated to me not only how efficient the camps can be in resolving the Jewish problem but are essential to our arms production.  Do you know what I think?  I think that the Bank should be satisfied handling all the bank accounts of the Gestapo and confiscating all the money from their Jewish accounts without keep pestering us at All nazi to keep checking this and certifying that.  Did you receive the forms that Eva (my secretary) sent you to fill in?"

"Yes, Paul.  Here they are fully completed." said Mengele producing a bunch of papers from a drawer of his desk.  He took a large gulp of his cognac and, after smacking his lips in appreciation, added, "You must come to dinner at my house one evening.  Unfortunately I've no time to talk at the moment as I'm in the middle of an important experiment and I've also just had a new shipment of "rabbits" (children) from the Warsaw Ghetto.  These Semites are not content to reproduce one at a time but seem to be intent on over-running the world with the 'chosen people' by keep having twins."

Mengele drained the last of his glass and, putting a friendly arm around Dickmann's shoulders, maneuvered him to the door and said, "I'm afraid that I must dash there's another two thousand Hungarian Jews due in within the hour and I need to be there to greet them for selection.".  He added with a chuckle, " There's no rest for the wicked you know!"