The Orphanage

It'd been a few hours after breakfast and Kylie had left to go get more groceries.

I sat on the couch staring blankly at the T.V not paying attention to what was on, I was thinking about last night. Even though I forgave her I was still in shock and deeply hurt.

I let my mind wonder to back when I had I just turned five in the orphanage.

It was the autumn of 2004, October 13th, my birthday. I woke up eager and ran to Kylie's bed. I shook her arm trying to awake her, but, when that didn't work I climbed on top of her bed and started jumping up and down ecstatically while yelling "KYLIE WAKE UP ITS MY BIRTHDAY!"

That's when the door swung open so quickly I could hear as it made a gash in the wall. I stopped dead in my tracks and held my breath as one of the Orphanage owners, Mr. Knightly, walked in with a death glare, I looked over at Kylie who had awoken and was sitting up in her bed staring widely at him.

"Who was yelling?!" He demanded scanning our room with his dark almost black colored eyes.

I began to panic, I knew I was about to be punished.

"It was me." Kylie said, looking down

I gasped. I couldn't let Kylie cover for me!

Before I could tell him the truth he rushed over and grabbed Kylies arm and pulled her out of the bed and quickly walked out the door shutting it behind him.

I could hear her screaming through the paint-chipped wooden door and my stomach lurched. I heard the whacking of his belt. 3 times, 4 times, finally after ten whacks her screams stopped and the door flung open again and he pushed her in causing her to stumble and fall. I began to softly weep as I ran over to my tear-stained faced sister as he slammed the door shut.

"Kylie I'm so sorry you didn't have to do that." I sobbed helping her get up

"It's fine baby-girl, these didn't even hurt as bad as they usually do." She said giving me a small smile.

I knew she was lying because she winced as I helped her sit down on the bed again. I hugged her tightly and she whispered in my ear.

"Happy birthday kiddo, I love you."