The News

Here is my new story based off of the Inheritance series by Christopher Poalini. I've been wanting to do this for a while so I hope you enjoy this as much as I have writing it. Please keep in mind though, that this is set at the end of Brisingr and I have basically ignored any parts of the Inheritance book since I have written this story before the book was released.

Chapter One-

Swishing trees glided lightly back and forth across the tiny pub at the corner of a small village. The constant breeze was a common fate here, so the village people paid no mind to the buffeting wind pulling at their clothing endlessly. Parting clouds revealed the almost always hidden sun to the town, happily reaching out to soften the harsh fog that encircled them continuously. The town was nestled on Leona Lake’s shore, the next town over from the major village of Belatona. It is called Rakr (known as City of the Mist in the Ancient Language that only the elves and some others know how to speak which had been discovered shortly after the town was founded) that had always been a small place for the shy, no-nonsense people who call it home.

Unfortunately, I am among this anonymous town. But I for one search this pathetic land for adventure and speak about the mystical stories as if I lived through them while others draw back from such things. Most have been raised that way by caring, stay-at-home mothers and hardworking fathers who man the trifling boats in the vast lake, so I do not blame them for their uncertainty. I was born in the 'big' city of Kuasta and had moved around constantly when I was young with my mother and father, so I loathe the life the people here call home. But I was forced to settle here at the age of ten when my parents had died an untimely death and I found my way to my grandmother in Belatona. Gran immediately took me in with open arms and together we had made our final move to our home here in Rakr. She promised me that would be our last trek for new land, and so far she has kept it. The constant travel had made me weary to leave the house for years, but nowadays I feel as though the town’s barriers are confining me to one specific place.

The loud banging from downstairs had me rocketing out of my bed. I had been laying in it for hours once sleep had left me. Now the fresh scent of Gran’s homemade fish omelets and freshly baked bread had me hurrying to put my usual uniform on. Gran and I had been working and living in this pub since we had first acquired it seven years ago, it still stays to be the best place to eat in the town. I hurriedly pulled on my tight, black leather pants under my long dark blue skirt, pulled my loose corset tighter to my chest and laced up my work boots that have lasted far longer than I had anticipated before racing down the stairs.

Sounds of plates clattering, sizzling stoves, and buoyant murmurs filled my ears once I entered the already busy dining area. I was later than I had thought. Our tavern is one of two popular eating and drinking places here in Rakr. I did mention how small we were right? Everyone knew everyone and it didn’t take long before news spread to just about everything here. It drove me mad. You couldn’t walk out of your house in slacks without hearing about it less than an hour later. That’s why I wore them under the flowing dress so I could remove it once I escaped to the woods. I went there almost every day once work was done and no more chores stood in the way of the freedom I felt there.

“Chrystal!” An out of breath call from the direction of the kitchen pulled me out of my self-rant. I turned to see Gran flipping eggs like crazy while piling them onto an overflowing plate. Without another word I raced over and took as many dishes as I dared and headed out into the war zone.

Once I had all the full plates distributed among the townsfolk, it wasn’t a matter of time before I was picking up the empty ones and hauling them back to the kitchen.  Soon Gran had them full of food again and she’d have me running around yet again. The smell of fish and eggs had my stomach churning before the end of the breakfast rush. I swore I would never touch the things again, but knew no matter how much I despised the nasty things I would still have to sell them almost every day. Oh, how I loathed the fishermen who brought the disgusting creatures back from the lake. I cursed the man who discovered the retched things to a fiery death.