Chapter Three

We all drag Kaylee to her room and make her pack enough bags for a 3-year tour. We then have to carry her to the bus and force her in it.

Me:
We need to talk.

Kaylee:
Fuck. You.

Me:
That wasn't a suggestion, Kaylee.

Kaylee:
Whatever you say, daddy's boy. Just go fuck yourself.

Me:
What's wrong with you??

Kaylee:
I have a brother that doesn't care if I'm alive or dead! Harper pulled a knife on me! I fought her unarmed! DEFENDING THE BROTHER THAT HASN'T FUCKING CALLED ME FOR FOUR GODDAMN MONTHS! I should have let her stab me...

Me:
I get that you're mad...

Kaylee:
I'm not mad, I'm done.

Me:
You're stuck here, might as well get used to it.

Kaylee:
Really? My birthday is in 6 months, the second I turn 18, I'm moving in with Hunter.

Me:
Yeah, not happening.

Kaylee:
Since when do you give two flying shits about me?? I'm just some kid you're related to.

Me:
You're my baby sister!

Kaylee:
I only have one sibling; Amy...you're dead to me.

Me:
What's happened to you?? Why are you saying this stuff?!

Kaylee:
BECAUSE YOU DON'T LOVE ME!

Me:
That's not true!

Kaylee:
Horseshit! You only came when I got arrested, is that what it takes, Matthew? Would you come to my own funeral, or is your fucking fanbase more important?

Me:
Kayles...

Kaylee:
Don't even try that baby name with me! Your fucking band and fans are more important than I am. Rot in a hole!

Me:
Kaylee!

Kaylee:
ROT! In a hole!

She goes into her bunk and I hear crying....I feel like the worst brother ever. I pull her curtain back and see my little sister in tears.

Me:
Please stop crying...

Kaylee:
What do you care?

Me:
Because I'm your brother.

Kaylee:
Are you, Shadows? Or are you just the rock star that can't call his sister back?

Me:
I'm so sorry!

Kaylee:
Yeah right. Go away.

Me:
No, we're gonna talk this out, please come out here and talk to me.

Kaylee:
Is that Shadows talking?

Me:
No, it's Matt...your brother talking, please Kayles?

She gets out and sits on the couch as far away from me as possible.

Me:
I'm sorry I haven't called you. It was a dick move on my part...and before you respond, hear me out: Kaylee, I love you, I will always love my little sister. But this hole you dug yourself into isn't necessary. Getting expelled, getting arrested because you're mad at me isn't worth it, kiddo. You don't need to do this.

Kaylee:
(sighs)
How else was I supposed to get your attention?

Me:
You put yourself through all this to get my attention?? KAYLEE!

Kaylee:
It worked, didn't it?

Me:
Look what it cost you! You got kicked out of school and you have a record!

Kaylee:
I got your attention, though.

Me:
You're an idiot, you know that?

Kaylee:
I'm sorry, Matt.

Me:
Don't apologize to me, apologize to mom and dad...they wrote you off and look where you're at now. At least you're away from Death Crunch...

Kaylee:
I'm still with Hunter.

Me:
Not after some time, you can't go back to Huntington Beach....you can't live with him, what do you think is gonna happen to your band now?

Kaylee sighs and puts her chin in her hands.

Kaylee:
All I wanted was you to acknowledge me...

Me:
You took it a bit far, don't you think?

Kaylee:
Yeah, maybe a bit. I'm sorry, I just missed you.

Me:
I missed you too, and I feel like a jackass for ignoring you.

Kaylee:
You are a jackass! (smiles) But...

Me:
But what?

Kaylee:
You're my jackass.

Me:
C'mhere, I think you need a hug.

My sister sits on my lap and hugs me, I close my arms around her and hug her back...I feel her kiss my cheek and squeeze me.

Kaylee:
This is all I wanted, Matt. I just wanted my hero's attention.

Then I hear the guys go, "Awe!" We look up and see them spying on us, I throw an orange and hit Rev in the head.

Kaylee:
Moment ruined.

Christ:
So, you did all this shit so Shadows would pay attention to you? (she nods) you should have texted one of us before it escalated to this, we would have cancelled a show and sent him home.

Kaylee:
Yeah, I wish I did that...but, I get to live with him now...so.

Me:
You're still an idiot.

Kaylee:
I love you too.

I hug her one final time and the two of us go out to smoke.