Mirrored

Emily’s POV

Summer’s end… One of the worst feelings I could ever feel… School doesn’t treat me well. I’m not popular, I’m not known throughout the school, I’m just that kid you vaguely remember passing you in the halls.

                “Hey Emily, come here!” my best friend, Karen, always has the gossip around her. She runs the school newspaper at school.

                “What now, Karen?” I asked, with a raised eyebrow, and a slight smile.

                “The lemons in Mrs. Moland’s are finally ripe and Jeffrey stole like… a ton… Can you believe him? I saw him jump the fence. I watched him thoroughly pick the best lemons I could see.” She reported, pleased with her “accomplishment.”

                “So…” I said, stretching the word out a little.

                “Sooo…. I told Mrs. Moland! Man did Jeffrey get in trouble. Since I was so “honest,” she gave me five bucks. She smiled pathetically.

                “Karen, you’re such a kid.” I joked. She scoffed in disagreement.

                “I am not!” she argued. I stared at her with a raised eyebrow. She shrugged.

                “Yeeah.. I guess I am…” she said, kicking a rock. We were on the way to the lake. We found a spot just for us. There’s this tree by the lake which we always hang around. It’s where we figure things out and stuff.

                “Hey, you ready for school?” she asked. I groaned…

                “No…”

                “Aw, come on! School is where all the gossip and drama is! Don’t you just love it?!” Karen squealed happily.

                “No.”

                “Come on… I know you like school…”

                “No.”

                “Fine. Don’t admit it.” Karen said, rolling her eyes. I frowned, and kept walking. When reaching the tree, I immediately climbed the tree as far as I could go. 

                “Ugh! Emily! Come down here! You know I’m afraid of heights…” Karen yelled, hands on her hips. I didn’t come down. When I went up here, it seemed time would slow down. I didn’t want school to come. “Ugh…” Karen sighed, letting herself fall to the grass below. “You know what? Let’s go shopping.” Karen said. That I guess perked me up. I was bored. Where else would a girl go when she’s bored? To the mall. We took a bus to the mall and the first store we went to was this store with A TON of cute tops.

                “Omigosh, this would look so cute on you!” Karen squealed, holding up a ruffled top with paint splatter prints on it.

                “Eh…” I said. I really wasn’t in the mood to buy clothes.

                “I already have a first day outfit.” I lied. She turned to me, hands now on her hips again.

                “Oh yeah? What is it?”

                “My…” I thought but nothing came to mind. Gotta do what I gotta do… I thought to myself. “My birthday suit.” I quickly started out the door, but Karen caught my arm.