Chapter 1 : Surviving the Atlantic

Rose

Jack and I swam to a big piece of wood. I climbed on it first then Jack started to climb on it but it sank to the bottom. It seems like the wood can only carry me. I looked at Jack with fear on both our eyes. I wasn't afraid to die. I was afraid to lose him. I couldn't just lay down and watch him freeze to death. He only didn't save me from the Titanic. But he also saved me from my mother,Cal and also myself. I must figure at a way. Seeing him shivering while comforting me makes me feel sad and hopeless. I felt cold. Not physically but emotionally. What would I do? Until something came into my mind. Something I saw back on the Titanic. It must work! I quickly removed my lifebelt. "What are you doing?!?" Jack exclaimed."Do you trust me?" I replied while staring at him. He smiled."You know I do." . I tied the Lifebelt under the wood and it slightly rose. But I don't think It's enough. I tried to look for an alternative way to get another lifebelt without taking it from a passenger crying for help. I looked around and saw a floating lifebelt near us."Jack,go get that lifebelt". He nodded."All right." He quickly swam to the lifebelt and brought it to me as fast as he could. Once again I tied it to the wood which rose considerably. "This is enough." I said. Jack found out what I was planning and quickly climbed in the raft. Which now handled our weight. He laid down while I laid down on his chest. Hugging each other to keep us warm. I was not scared anymore. Perhaps we can survive until rescue comes. But I couldn't rest. Around us we're passengers screaming for their lives. Jack and I both looked at an officer whistling loudly."Return... The boats!' He shouted. While around the other side a man and a woman we're shouting."Please!!! Help Us!" I couldn't bear their cries. I hugged Jack tighter tears. falling down my cheeks. He once again comforted me."Don't worry. They had to row away from the suction. But now they'll be coming back." I might have been scared due to the poor people dying slowly in panic. But knowing that I'm on Jack's hands made me feel stronger. We've waited for a long time but nobody came. I was loosing hope as the scene got quiet. I know that many have died already. It was colder than ever but huddling each other kept us surprisingly warm. Hope was restored when a ray of light shined on my face. I looked at it and saw a boat. I shook Jack's shoulders. "Jack. there's a boat." He looked at me."What? Where?" he replied. I pointed to the boat. We quickly got up and shouted with all our strength and they managed to see us. I can here their voices."I see them! row row row! quickly!" They rowed to us and we we're quickly pulled into the boat. We we're given a blanket which we both shared. We we're so exhausted that we fell asleep. I was woken up by Jack. He pointed to the beautiful star-lit sky."Rose look a rocket! We're saved!" I looked at his face and once again I saw his happy face. The nightmares we're over. But The Ship of Dreams would always be a nightmare that would haunt our lives forever.

I looked at the beautiful rockets of the sea. We both got up and saw  steamer lighted off the distance. We were so happy that we made a kiss that lasted for minutes. Our boat quickly rowed to the steamer. As we got closer the sun started to rise , and water to started to rise. The flat calm disappeared. I was shocked to see a sea full of ice bergs. All was beautiful. The sea was blue the sky was pink and cloudy. The icebergs gleamed. But for the rest of my life I wish that I shall never see an Iceberg ever again. As we got closer to the steamer I saw it's name. "Carpathia" a name that I would never forget. Jack and I boarded the ship at about 7:15 AM. We climbed to the rope ladders. I suddenly became exhausted that I fell into Jack's shoulder. We walked helplessly in utter silence. The disaster already started haunting us. The crew of Carpathia gave both of us a pair of blankets and a cup of coffee. We sat down on one of the deck chairs staring into the distance. But I was happy that I was still with him.

A stewardess offered as a sandwich. I wasn't all that hungry. But Jack gobbled it all up , which made me giggle. "Come on it was a bit fun sliding on the water gave me the chills!" he said. I playfully slapped him and laughed."Fool. We could have had died without my idea." I replied."Alright it's all on you smarty pants." He laughed and started to tickle me which ended up on us tickling each other.

About 9:15 AM we saw from the distance two vessels but I didn't know it's name. It was later Identified as Mount Temple and Californian. After some minutes the Carpathia was on her way again. The stewards announced that we were headed for New York. Slowly but surely. We felt safer as got further away from the spot where it sank. A second class woman came to us. "Excuse me but would you take my son's cabin? I already bought 2 tickets but he couldn't come. It would be a waste if nobody used the cabin. I also put some clothes. They we're quite old but clean." she said."But Ma'am. W-" She quickly replied."No I insist. I asked an officer about the passengers that we're picked up from the water. He kept looking around and pointed you. You suffered than most people on board the Titanic. I myself couldn't even take the cold air but you survived the cold water. So please take it. It would make me much happier." she begged. I agreed and thanked her so much. She took us to the cabin. It was clean and comfortable. It had a bunk bed I laid down to the bottom bunk as I am not used to top bunks. I saw Jack already sleeping at the top bunk without me noticing which made me chuckle. I was still so exhausted like crazy that I already fell asleep.