II

"And here comes, Princess Kerttu Koskinen of Illea." The announcer's voice resounded through the ballroom as I turned and walked down the elaborate grand staircase, my hand gliding on the gleaming white banister. I maintained a calm smile, trying my best not to let the bubble of energy inside of me to explode. The crowd of people in front of me clapped politely as I made my way down the staircase. The applause waned once I stepped down on to the marble of the Grand Ballroom floor, and the Prince of Swendway greeted me, his dark eyes warm and his grin inviting. I smiled graciously, exchanging simple pleasantries.

Once he left, I made a round through the room, conversing with the guests until I caught a glimpse of my Uncle Osten. I immediately excused myself and tore away from the beautiful Princess Cassandra of Italy, swiftly pacing to his side and kissing his cheek as I did when I was younger. His fiery locks flopped as he turned to look at me. Although I always compared him to my little brother, he was always my favorite uncle. He wasn't afraid to be himself at all times, a quality I highly admired.
"How are you, Your Highness?" He asked, his icy blue eyes glinting with a mischievous gleam.
"Very good, sir. Only I'm having a little trouble remembering your latest conquest, Lady Em-"
"Okay, okay, Kerttu." Uncle Osten laughed, shaking his head. I sighed, grinning at my victory.
"Kerttu, dear?" A voice asked in a Swedish accent. I turned to see Mormor and Farfar, my grandparents.
"Mormor, Farfar! Det är så trevligt att se dig!" I exclaimed, embracing both of them.
"It's lovely to see you as well, darling," Farfar said in his soft tone, giving me a quick peck on the cheek.
"How are you, Osten dear?" Mormor politely inquired.
"As well as always." Uncle Osten gave a small smile.
"Good. You've grown into quite the man." Mormor said, patting his shoulder.
"Thank you." He blushed a little, but continued the conversation, turning to more pressing matters. After a few minutes had passed, I politely excused myself and left my grandparents and uncle to catch up on each other's lives, while I went to get some fresh air out on the ballroom balcony.

I walked into the cool evening air, gazing up at the darkening sky. Conversing with my relatives during state affairs was lively and all, but sometimes I needed some fresh air to get away from all the commotion of these times. I strolled to edge of the polished stone balcony, running my hands over the elaborate designs carved into it.
"Princess?" A voice asked, low and smooth. I turned to it, finding a young man with straight, jet black hair. I straightened myself out, trying to make myself look presentable again.
"Yes?"
"Good evening, Your Highness. I apologize for disturbing your evening." He started to walk away from me before I stopped him. Recognizing him, I continued the conversation.
"It's fine, don't worry. I was just getting a breath of fresh air, Mr. Zhang." I answered, seeing that he was the son of the Illean ambassador for Asia; Elise Whisks.
"Lovely to meet you, Mr. Zhang." I formally answered, reaching out shake his hand. He stepped closer to me and took my pale, freckled hand in his; so close that I could make out his green eyes in the dark of the night.
"You as well, dear princess. Oh, and please, call me Julian."

"Okay, Julian. Will it be all right with you if we met again in the ballroom in an hour?" I asked sweetly, slipping my hand out of his while trying to get him to leave me without being rude.
"You Highness, if I may, can I stay here for just a moment longer? It's ever so loud in there, and just so peaceful out here." He grinned hopefully.
"Oh, sure I guess. Whatever you'd like, Julian." I said, trying my best not to let my smile falter. He nodded back, stepping away from me and to the rim of the balcony, a few inches away from where I'd been before he introduced himself. I turned back to shining sky and resumed my position once again, although this time a few inches away from where I'd previously been.

As we stared out over the palace grounds, I found that I was glad that he didn't try to make conversation, but instead let it be quiet. I was able to regain peace that way, and he was being courteous of it. Just as I was about to invite him to accompany me back inside, a guard rushed outside, calling for me. I asked him what he needed and he told me that Mom and Dad were looking for me, as Petteri was making his entrance. I nodded and promised a dance to Julian, following the guard to my parents.