Something Old

I sigh, work has been hard for me today. Just like every other day. The door to the apartment is locked, I fumble with the keys, forgetting which key fits. It's key number 8, I totally knew that. The rusty hinges squeak as the door pushes open. The faint music travels it's way to my ears, the smell of tomatoes hits my nose. She always liked music playing while cooking. I walk forward so I can see her, swaying in the kitchen to an old pop/love song, the kind no one likes.

          Her back is towards me, I assume she didn't hear me come in. I smirk, as I walk behind her and pull her into my chest. She seems like she loved hugs from behind. We dance. I wrap my arms around her waist, she grabs hold of my hands. I picture her smiling, the light smell of vanilla she always carried with her drifts in the air. I look over her shoulder to find noodles, and the tomato sauce I smelled. Spaghetti, my favorite. She turns around and rubs the sauce onto my lips, her smile turns into a quiet laugh, as she lifts her eyes to watch my reaction. I bite my lip, place my hand on the back of her neck, and kiss her. She doesn't seemed surprised, she always seems like she was the one that planned it. I smile into kiss, she pulls away. She lightly places her lips on my cheek, my nose, and my forehead. She's adorable. Her cheeks turn a rosy pink, as she grabs my hands again. I hear a crash, and jolt from my slumber.

          Oh yes... I was dreaming. I look to the floor and find the broken whiskey bottle, I dropped while sleeping. I sit back as my chest starts heaving from the pain in my heart, my racking sobs fill the room, hot tears slip down my face. I never believed in heartache. Not until 5 days before this day, this horrible shadowy day. I sit up, and look over at my black tux, lying across the vintage chair she picked out. I reach into my pants pocket, and grab the crumpled piece of paper. " You are officially invited to the funeral of Mrs. Annie Clay" I read it to myself, for the 73rd time since it arrived. It's today, in 3 hours. I get up, and start getting ready for it, because I know if she knew I was mopping around, after she was brutally murdered that night.... She would be disappointed in me.