Chapter sixteen.

LAUREN'S POV

I hate kids.

Well, I don't hate them. I just don't like it when there's three screaming twelve year olds in the backseat of my car. It wasn't easy to focus with them and they were giving me a headache.

My mother and father insisted on me taking them to "do something fun". What do twelve year old girls do for fun nowadays? When I was twelve, I was probably outside doing stuff with my friends instead of sitting inside on my iPhone all day.

So my mom just told me to take them to our Hamptons home, where they could swim and do all that.

"Lauren! When are we gonna be there?" Erin screamed from the back seat.

"In like half an hour, Erin," I replied. "You asked me this like five minutes ago."

She continued to talk to her two friends, whose names I didn't even know, and I continued to listen to the music playing through the radio.

We eventually arrived at the house and the girls screamed as we pulled up. This was going to be a long two days.

We got out of the car and the girls started running towards the house while I waltzed behind them.

I haven't been to this house in about two years or so. My parents let me bring my friends here for my 21st birthday party, which was wild. That was when times were simpler.

"Okay girls," I said as I threw my stuff on the counter. "We need to establish a set of rules for the next two days."

"Lauren!" Erin screamed. "Rules aren't fun!"

"Well they're necessary for these next two days. Now sit down on the couch."

The three of them sat down on the couch, and they definitely didn't want to be sitting there, I could tell.

"So, rule number one. No screaming in the house. Scream outside or wherever else, but don't scream inside."

"Laur-"

"Rule number two, bed time is at eleven thirty. Mom told me to make you guys go to bed at 10:30, but I'm giving you an extra hour because I'm just that nice."

The three of them cheered over the fact that I'm letting them stay up an hour later than usual. Was it really that exciting?

"And last but not least, rule number three. You guys have to clean up every mess you make. I'm not your maid for the next two days, okay?"

They nodded and then ran upstairs to get their stuff together to go swimming in the pool in the backyard. I needed to watch them while they were swimming, so I went upstairs to get my suit on, too.

-----

"Lauren! Come in the water!"

"No, Erin. I have to watch you guys."

"You will be watching us if you come in here!" She laughed. "Please?"

"Fine," I gave in.

I put my sunglasses on my seat and headed towards the pool. I better not get my hair wet. I dipped my toes in the cold water, flinching at the temperature.

When I was in to my knees, someone splashed water on me. I turned to see Erin standing in the pool with a smirk on her face.

"Erin, don't you dare-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence due to my sister completely dunking me under water.

"Erin!"

She started laughing hysterically, and I couldn't help but laugh too. I guess this wasn't all that bad. I should at least have fun over the next two days and forget about everything that's happened lately.

I then learned that the other two girls name's were Alexandria and Meredith. Well, that's good to know.

We played in the pool for nearly five hours before we all started to get tired, and very hungry. I told the girls I would make the food while they all got ready for dinner.

I decided to make us breaded chicken, baked potatoes, and French fries. There wasn't really anything "extravagant" in this house, due to the fact that we're never here.

As I was preparing the chicken, there was a knock on the door. Who would be knocking o the door? We're never here, and our neighbor's know that.

I cleaned my hands and headed towards the door to open it. When I opened it, my heart stopped.

Leo was standing there.