Five: Confessions

Chapter Five

I whimpered slightly as cool water surrounded my hands, my eyes closing at their own accord. It felt so good in this blazing heat wave.

"No need to be so enthusiastic."

My brown eyes opened once more and I forced a smile. "My apologies, Ingrid."

The sky was the obscene bright blue that only afternoon could provide, yet my eyes were still dropping from my encounters last night. I'd somehow managed to convince Alana into a game of chess... Which had turned into three full games and a promise of a rematch.

I'd never known a woman to be so competitive.

"Ethan?"

I looked back up to her, smiling again. "Yes?"

She chuckled, placing her hands on top of her pregnant stomach. "This would go along much faster if you actually washed the clothing I hang up."

I frowned to myself, glancing down at my hands. I'd been clutching the same petticoat for at least five minutes. "I... I thought I was."

"Are you well?"

"Yes," I replied, smiling genuinely for the first time. "I'm more than well."

Ingrid? squinted slightly, walking over to me as if I were some kind of criminal. "Who is she?"

My heart thudded noticeably. "Who?"

"The girl."

"Girl?"

"As in woman."

"I don't know many women."

"Yes you do, and she has you grinning like a fool in a tavern with a full money bag."

I shrugged, scrubbing the petticoat zealously. "I'm simply in need of a nap."

She sighed. "Ethan."

I let out my own sigh, working to make the sound exasperated. "Yes, Ingrid?"

She shook her head, smiling slightly. "You cannot lie to me."

Everything inside of me was begging me to turn away and make up another excuse, but the way she stared me down made it impossible.

Ingrid was less than ten years my senior, and through the five years she'd worked for us we had become best friends. She was a good talker, but was always open to talk with me, no matter the situation.

I smiled despite myself. "I may have met someone."

A high-pitched noise filled the air, and Ingrid sat in front of me eagerly.

I cocked my head to the side, nodding at the mass of skin protruding from her stomach. "I have heard that sitting is bad for the baby."

She waved me off. "Is it the Witherworth girl?"

"No," I said firmly. "Why must everyone assume that?"

"It makes sense."

"I don't care. I do not like her."

Ingrid relieved me of the laundry basin in response.

"I like this maiden, though," I murmured. "She's had such an awful past, but she lives as if it never happened. She doesn't try to impress me. She's strong. Smart. Beautiful. She likes chess." I stopped, sighing. "Ingrid, I could go on all afternoon."

"I can tell," she replied, and her smile was just as large has my own. "I'm happy for you."

"I just hope everything works for us. She was very reluctant to our courtship."