Chapter 6

Day 1 of the Pact

Tuesday, October 18

When Harry promised that we would hang out together everyday at lunch, I didn't think I would find him right outside my English Literature class, leaning against the wall with his hands crossed over his chest, and a smirk etched on his lips. I didn't bother questioning him about how he found out about my schedule, because I would get the plain reply of "I have my ways." He followed me to my locker silently while I put my books back, and we walked together to the cafeteria, side by side. Just as I was wondering why he hadn't said a word yet, he spoke up.

"How do you feel about Laser Tag?"

"Never tried it before." I shrugged nonchalantly.

"Well, that makes the both of us." He added.

"How is it possible that the so called rebellious Harry Styles hasn't been Laser Tagging?!" I sneered.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me, Doll."

"I have a whole month ahead of me to figure you out, Styles."

"Well the first step in 'Figuring Styles Out' is that we'll go Laser Tagging together."

"Actually, my aunt, uhm, invited people over for a, uh, dinner tonight, so I can't go." I absolutely suck at lying, and I don't even like doing it, but for some reason I felt that I shouldn't accept his offer, although only yesterday I agreed to try and become friends with him. It's only fair though that I be more careful, especially around new people while in a new city.

"I can detect your lying from miles away." Harry said, obviously annoyed. "First of all, even if you weren't lying, I am one hundred percent sure no power would have made you sit at the dinner table with god knows what kinds of people. Also, the thing about our pact is that you will be open to every suggestion I give, without any excuses or lies. We're going to have fun, not fight off criminals." We were standing in the middle of the hallway, almost near the cafeteria, and a couple of eyes had already settled on us, sensing our banter.

"Stop it." I warned him, backing away and walking to the cafeteria at a fast pace.

I didn't feel like having anything to eat or drink, so I just took a seat at my table and waited for Harry, sure he would sit in front of me eventually. We did have a deal after all, and he seemed to be doing a better job at committing to it.

"I'll pick you up at 5:30." He said in a way that sounded more of a demand than a question.

"6:00. I need to study and have a nap first." I looked everywhere but at him.

"Fine." He dryly agreed, and then murmured a "I need to study and have a nap first" mockingly under his breath. I decided to be the bigger one and ignore him. Ignoring Harry always seemed to be the solution, whatever it is he was doing or saying. Lunch continued quietly, not one of us speaking another word, annoyed by one another's actions.

I was out of school as soon as the bell rang, running hurriedly to avoid any awkward run-ins with Harry. I go back home with Mason and the chauffeur, but I just don't feel like handling Mason at 7:00 am every day of the week.

When we arrived, Mason and I went into the kitchen expecting to see a gourmet meal on the table, but all we found was a neatly written note. I held it up and began reading it aloud for Mason to hear as well.

I had a meet up at lunch. So sorry I didn't have the time to fix something for you. I left you a good wad of cash, order whatever you want. Don't wait up. Take care.

Love, Kendra

I crumbled up the piece of paper and tossed it in the trashcan, then took the money and split it in half between Mason and I. My aunt is a very generous woman, from what I've seen so far, or it's just because she has money that could last her for centuries, and she knows that she doesn't need it all. I do know that she provides her son with everything in the world, because he is her only child. And I'm very grateful to her too for having given me all I need, without depriving me from anything.