Chapter I

A woman cried alone. Why was she? Did someone just die? No one died, but she felt like a part of her life was torn apart. She wasn't complete. No one ever knew why--not even her husband or her mother.

"Mommy," a girl about eight called to her mother, "are you okay?" she asked.

The woman wiped her moist face before turning to her daughter. "Yes, my love. I am alright. Why aren't you preparing yet? You're going to be late for school," she answered.

"But Mommy, why are you crying?" The girl pressed her further.

"Listen, my love, to a story I'm about to tell you."

*** 1998 ***

It was a fine day in a tropical island. The sun was at its highest peak. Who wouldn't enjoy such fine weather--depressed introverts, perhaps. Maybe that could explain why this girl jailed herself in her room. Her dark brown her was medium-sized and loose. Her skin tone wasn't dark, nor fair. She didn't look depressed at all; she was singing. She sang it with purity that no one can explain. It's as if the heavens fell on her room. Lea is what you can call her. She was fortunate enough to have a great skill in singing and a refine features.

Yes, I was practicing for a production back then. I was to play a 17-year-old Vietnamese girl. It was one of my most challenging roles then. I had to act like a prostitute at the beginning, and a suicide victim at the end.

Lea concluded the song with her fists in the air. "One more to go!" she exclaimed enthusiastically. She sat on her bed when she heard a loud knock at her door.

"Lea! I'm in 'ere!" a man banged his knuckles on the door. It was her best friend. They met during a movie a few years ago; it was entitled 'Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal' which means 'Why Do I Love You So Much'. A year after, they starred in another romance-themed movie called 'Sana Maulit Muli'--or called 'If Only It Can Repeat'. She was tied into a romantic relationship with his character in these movies. His name is Aga.

"Hello, Aga. What brought you here?" Lea opened the door for Aga to enter.

"I wanted to visit you," he grinned. "What are you doing?"

"I'm practicing for my new project, Aga." She showed him a piece of paper with some song lyrics written.

"Congratulations! You passed the audition. That is so amazing! Great job, Lei." Aga carried Lea to the air.

"Put me down! You're hurting my-" Aga released her. He laughed at her--not sadistically--but a laugh no one can describe; it was unique.

"You're practicing, hm? Let me help you! I'll be the guy!" Aga laughed.

"Aga--no thanks. I can do it myself." Lea shrugged.

"You just don't want to hear me sing, don't you?" Aga teased her like he always does.

"Yes, and that I already finished all those duet parts. I'm doing my favorite song next," she defended herself with a mishevious tone

"Let me hear you then,"

***

Lea's mother came back home with groceries on her hand.

"Hello, Mom. Need help?" Lea offered her.

"Lea, what did you do while I was away?" Ligaya--her mother-- asked.

"I practiced with Aga," she said with no fear.

"You didn't do it, did you?" Ligaya teased her.

"Mom, I wouldn't!" Lea felt her cheeks drop with a crimson shade. "Pre-marital sex is not me at all! Plus, who said we were in a relationship?" Lea has a crush on Aga, but she doesn't know how Aga feels about her. She doesn't even know if he was still onto Charlene.

I liked him back, then. But my friend, Char, is in a relationship with Aga that time. I knew they broke up long before. I never even knew that... Aga had a mutual friend with me even before 'Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal'!

"I'm just making sure!" Ligaya laughed.

Right, right... Mom is very overprotective of me. She wouldn't let me hang out with boys alone. I still don't know why she let Aga with me, though. I never really asked.

***

"Made of sunlight, moonlight"

Aga suddenly kissed Lea. He made way for his lips to enter her's. Lea remkved her neutral mask, and replaced it with a shocked expression.

"A-A-Aga?!" she exclaimed with a tinge of doubt. "What are you doing?"

I would never forget that moment. It was probably one of the...weirdest moments I've had.

"Wasn't that part of the song? They kiss," Aga said sarcastically.

Lea felt her cheeks burn. "It's just that... this is just a practice! I don't have to kiss anyone!"

"Mhm, so what if you don't get used to kissing that American guy? You don't even know him."

Lea's hands turned into ice. Her pulse leaped. Was she--Miss Lea-- falling? Maybe she was, and maybe wasn't. Who knows?

I don't know if I had a slight crush on him--not even now.