Summer: Chpt 5

5. The Strangest of People

"How rude of you,"

In the few moments that it had taken Rin and the woman to leave, the euphoric disposition of the demon standing before Sesshomaru had disappeared. And now, there was nothing but contempt on his face. Sesshomaru concluded that the demon was either foolishly bold or tragically ignorant.

"How rude of you to interrupt a family's reunion," The demon stepped closer. Sesshomaru watched on uninterestedly, as he proceeded to rant. "I had no business with you. How dare you, an outsider, enter my family's home and desecrate it?"

Silent, the daiyokai narrowed his eyes at the obviously crazed being.

"And as if to add insult, you let my wretch of a sister escape."

The night winds suddenly grew stronger. Dark curtains that once swayed gently now violently flapped in the air. Sesshomaru placed a hand on the hilt of his sword, but even so, he remained calm – even as he taunted the demon with the wild, red hair:

"If she is of so much concern to you then you could have followed her."

At his remark, the demon's anger seemed to have dissipated, if only for a moment. And that was because they both knew what would have transpired had the demon moved an inch while Rin and the woman were escaping. Sesshomaru supposed that even a crazed opponent knew when to restrain themselves.

But now, it seemed that being alone had caused caution and tact to have flown out the door. The demon with the red hair raised a clawed hand, the tips of which began to glow a strange orange color – a color he couldn't help but take note of.

"You, dog demon," the demon hissed, "are interfering."

"And you are a bother to this Sesshomaru."

Sesshomaru brought out his poison whip and the other demon took a step forward, but before either of them could strike, a dark purple miasma began to materialize around the feet of the red headed demon. Sesshomaru paused. The name Naraku came to mind but he knew it was impossible. The miasma swirled up and around the other demon, thickening and engulfing him from head to toe. The last thing Sesshomaru saw was the surprised look on the demon's face as he raised his hand and slashed through the violet cloud. Immediately the miasma dispersed, but there was no one standing in its remnants.

The demon that had been standing before Sesshomaru had vanished.

***

When she'd first caught a glimpse of his figure exiting the castle, Akiko's mind had been momentarily filled with doubt.

She and Rin had only been outside for a few minutes. Could Sesshomaru really have been that powerful?

If he was indeed such a powerful demon that he could do away with his enemies in mere minutes, then that meant trouble for her. It could even mean the end of her very life as she knew it – if Sesshomaru were one to hold grudges. She prayed to the heavens that he wasn't. But her prayers went completely unanswered – the edge of Sesshomaru's blade now pressed against her neck told her so rather clearly.

This time, she had no words of wit for him – only a look of confusion. Rin too, seemed confused, but she could not bring herself to question Lord Sesshomaru – not with the serious look that was in his eyes.

His smooth voice raised the fine hairs on her arms and the back of her neck, "this brother of yours. Who – and what – is he?"

He looked down at her with annoyance in his eyes, and she up at him with anxiety in hers.