Summer: Chpt.1

Part 1 - Summer

1.      New Faces

"The next time I see that goddamned demon, I'll make sure I have her head!"

The bright glow of the campfire clearly defined the expressions on the faces of five irate men. Their loud voices resonated through the forest.

"Don't talk so confidently just yet, Toriyama-san. We all know she's much more dangerous than she lets on."

"We need to get rid of that troublesome wench!" One of the men exclaimed, pounding a large fist onto the log he sat on.

Little did they know, the very demon  they spoke of was sitting high in the branches of the trees above them, smirking at how easily she could get the human villagers so worked up. With a grin on her face, she tossed a piece of stolen dried fruit into her mouth. She believed that the old saying, 'everything tastes better when it's does not belong to you' applied to most everyone, even demons.

Her moment of peace, however, did not last long. A shiver shot up her spine at a sudden overwhelming feeling – a powerful aura coming from somewhere nearby.

The voice of one of the younger, more obnoxious humans caught her ear.

"Yet another demon... It seems that this place has become littered with you pests lately.".

The demoness sat up. "That other one has already gotten us so riled up," continued the human, "we might as well take out our anger on you."

Her eyes widened at the sight of the demon that the villagers had been planning to "do away with" in her stead. Something told her that they were on the verge of making a grave mistake.

From where she sat, the only thing she could really see was the demon's long silvery-white hair; nonetheless, she could still sense the almost overwhelming demonic aura being given off.

Whoever she is, she's pretty powerful. The demon in the tree thought to herself.

Quickly and quietly, she hopped from the branch that she had been sitting on and onto another that better enabled her to see the faces of both the men and the demon. On seeing the demon's calm and unreadable face for the first time, she smiled awkwardly to herself, a bit embarrassed. She'd been mistaken.

The demon was male.

From what she could see, she could tell that the he was in fact, a dog demon – he looked almost the same as the one she'd seen on a scroll she'd stolen once. She was good at that kind of thing – identifying different yokai, mainly from sensing their auras (though she was also good at stealing). Or at least she was good when it came to demons that weren't her. But that aside, she knew that dog demons were a force to be reckoned with.

"Out of my way," his voice was low and threatening. He was, obviously, in a bad mood.

"You're not going anywhere unless you get through us first, demon." All the men stood up, grabbing their weapons, ready to fight. They were clearly asking for death.

"I shall waste no time on an enemy that can't even sense his foe lurking right above him," he said calmly. Her brows raised in surprise at how easily he'd noticed her, but then, as the humans turned up to face her, she couldn't help but smile at the dumbfounded looks on their faces when they finally noticed her there, shrouded by shadows. This demon's skills impressed her.

"Now, move," he demanded.

The humans turned their attention back to him, glaring at the annoyed dog demon.