Chapter one

Why can't I move? Where am I?

My chest rises and falls in panic. I attempt to whimper through my cracked lips. A single dull bulb provides the only light. I'm facing up, I'm lying on something cold. How did I get here? I try to look for an exit, to see what I'm on, but I'm stuck. My eyes refuse to move, to blink. Cold air punishingly attacks them, causing them to tear. A ruff texture presses hard against my wrists and ankles,tying me down. I can feel the decorating goose bumps. Why is it so cold? I'm lying on something smooth, it's almost as cold as the air around me.

I can't open my mouth, I can hardly swallow. A light piece of fabric covers me from my toes to my neckline. It's rough parted threads are uncomfortable against my bare skin. One of my eyes is covered by my hair. I can't see the walls, why is it so dark? I try to scream for help, but it feels as if someone's rubbing a sandpaper tube up and down my throat.

A daunting thought comes upon me. My breathing adopts repetitive short breaths. Little clouds of steam forms from my breath. If I can feel the fabric all over my body, then where's my clothes?

A loud screeching noise of rusty metal on metal pierces my ears. I feel like someone's trailing a thin cold finger down my spine.

"Is she injected?" A demanding voice snaps. "You have to inject them as soon as you find them! It's no fun for the werewolf's if their prey isn't scared when they see them change. You know how the Alpha king likes to inflict terror. Without the humans screaming in fright, we won't be selling any seats to the vampires will we! The humans reactions . . ."

"Frost, she's awake." There's a pause of silence. Am I hearing correctly? Did the woman say werewolf? Vampire? Aren't these creatures only a figment of our imagination, written in children's stories to strike fear?

"Well for the sake of all moons! Did you paralyse her? Do you do anything right? Alpha Black will kill me, and my family - and yours if we don't do this right! There's a reason he's the werewolf king. I should slap you right now." Heavy footsteps echo to the left. Another set shuffle in the distance. I don't know these people. Am I paralysed? I remember taking an evening walk in the forest, trying to catch the last few photos I can for the day with the dying light. Later, I found out I won the trip I signed up for. I followed the instructions, found where I was staying, which turned out to be a mansion, then, nothing. I can't remember if I finished the trip, if I got home, or if I fell and hit my head, or maybe crashed in a plane!Maybe I'm in a hospital.

"Careful, I may be your assistant but if you value your job, you'll keep your hands on it. One slip up and I'll be promoted to an active witch." The woman snorts. Little sweat beads gather on my forehead.

"Charlie, I only work for the Alpha King because I need the money. I can leave when ever I want but your stuck here."

A squeaky nose follows the white machine being pushed towards me. A sharp needle glints ever so slightly. The burly woman loosens some screws and smoothly pulls down the head of the machine like a dentist does to a light before examining teeth. I strain and strain my muscles. I try to scree and shout and do anything, anything to move. Anything to get away from the needle. Nothing works, the voices of the two people are a back round noise as I look at the needle. It's sharp tip only centre meters directly above my eye.

"Charlie stop it! You attempted to cast a spell on the Alphas mate and now you are sentenced to work or to be tortured. You've decided your own fate so leave me out of it!" The woman's voice screeches, giving me fright. It's painful to want to move, but can't. My body feels stiff and worn. How long have I been here?

"Hold still!" How could I possibly move?Everything goes quiet accept for a mechanical whirl. With a jolt, the needle begins to move.

"You won't feel a thing, we're just going to take a sample of the outer layer of your eye so we can get a DNA background. We can't afford to have a contestant with any relation at all to a werewolf, a vampire or a witch. We can't have a riot again. I still don't understand why those vampires where so upset. The vamp wasn't related to the girl any more. Once your bitten, all human sisters and brothers are no longer relatives!" I get the feeling she's no longer talking to me.

"Yes Frost, I never disagreed." The needle gets closer.

-----------------A/N

Please excuse bad spelling, I don't really edit . . .