Chapter 1 - The Letter

Valerie Winters never got mail. It might have had something to do with the fact that her current location was just beyond the middle of nowhere, and yet here it was. A letter, addressed to her, sitting on the table between Valerie and her equally as surprised parents. At first sight, it appeared like your normal, average letter, but upon closer inspection it obviously wasn't. For starters, the address was - well - strange. Valerie flipped the envelope over in her hands and, for what seemed like the billionth time, read the emerald green writing scripted;

To: Valerie Winters
Address: the little house on the plains next to the lake, nowhere, England.
NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE BARN

"Uhh... how did you say this was delivered again?" Valerie asked, looking up at her parents.

Before either Cassandra or Brice Winters spoke, they took a moment to glance at each other, sharing a look as if they weren't entirely convinced themselves of what they were about to say.

"Uh, well..." her mother began, fidgeting with her wedding ring - a nervous habit of hers. "Um... an - an owl. In the uh, in the barn."

Valerie tried to hide a smile and suppress laughter. This whole affair, whilst amusing to her, had come as rather a shock to her parents. She loved her family, but they were simple folk who struggled to accept changes or differences to what they considered 'normal'. On the other hand, Valerie was a wild, free spirit, and she sometimes wondered how she was the offspring of such sweet, innocent people.

"So... you going to open it kiddo?" her father asked, somewhat reluctantly. Hells yeah I'm going to open it. I've wanted to open this thing from the moment you handed it to me! She thought excitedly. But, she needed to wait for their permission first, and this comment was exactly what she was looking for. With slow but sure movements, Valerie worked her way under the seal, gently prying open the envelope in turn before slipping out the folded paper within. Without hesitation, she opened it, grasping the first one in hand. Eyes gleaming with anticipation, she began to read aloud...

"Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards).

Dear Ms. Winters,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at . Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on . We await your owl by no later than 31st of July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress"

As soon as she'd finished reading, her eyes shifted up to her parent's clearly confused faces. Their expression, she was sure, was also mirrored on her face. Her mind boiled with a million questions, yet all she could do was manage a blank stare at the two people who were supposed to know everything that were obviously as clueless as she was. And she didn't blame them - the letter was mentioning witches and wizards for goodness sake!

"This had to be a joke, right?" she asked, setting aside the first page to look at the one underneath, briefly scanning it with her eyes as she awaited her parents response. "I mean, look here - spell books? A wand? This has to be some sort of prank or something." Valerie scoffed, attempting a light laugh.

"Ah, honey I'm afraid there is no mistake. The owl was ah, not the only thing there. There was a cat too." Her mother began, her delicate fingers now feverishly twirling the ring, so much so that Valerie's father had to place his own hand over hers, giving it a gentle squeeze as he did.

"A cat?" Valerie prompted, somewhat skeptically. There were a few strays around here which helped with the mice problem, so a feline wasn't an uncommon sight especially in the barn. For them to mention it like this was the strangest thing in the world was incredibly odd. Little did she know how right this was.

"Uh well it was a cat. And then it shifted. Into a woman. Sweetie she explained everything."

Valerie stared blankly at her parents. She had no idea what the hell they were on about. "Mum you're not making any sense. What are you talking about?"

A moments hesitation passed between them, but it was clear they knew they had to say it sooner or later. "Valerie."

"Yes mum?"

"You're a witch."

....you're a witch.....

"Uh.... what?!"

END CHAPTER ONE