Prologue

As I rest against the headboard of this lumpy bed, I can't believe how I ended up here, alone in a dark, dingy motel room. I'm supposed to be home, secure with the man who promised to love me for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part. It's clear to me he took the death part earnestly. I've been on the run from him for months. He wants to kill me, make me pay for divorcing him. No one defies Jett, not even the underlings that work for him. It'll only be a matter of time before he tracks me down, but before he does, I hope to have put a permanent barrier between us. What I'm most afraid of is that he'll discover that I'm pregnant.

Rubbing my belly, I feel the baby kick and it brings a smile to my lips. A twinge of regret is buried in the recesses of my mind of how this unborn life came to be. Just like I did every night, I checked to make sure all doors and windows were locked before crawling into bed. I remember sleeping with my back facing away from the bedroom door before being attacked. I fought as much as I could, screamed as loud as my lungs could strain before a large leather clad hand clamped over my mouth, silencing me.

"Shut up." My body stiffened at the sound of his voice. "Did you really think we were over? I told you, if you ever tried to leave me, I'd kill you." By this time he'd removed his gloved hand over my mouth.

"Let me go Jett."

"Let you go? Naw. I'm going to make you suffer. You divorce me and didn't think there'd be consequences? I'll make a believer out of you yet."

As he began positioning himself over me, I kneed him in the gut, kicking him off the bed onto the floor. Seizing my chance, I scrambled from the bed, out into the pitch-black hallway toward the front door. I was a mere step from freedom before a sneakered foot tripped me. I landed hard, knocking the air from my lungs. Trying to right myself, Jett's heavy foot pressed against my back, pinning me to the pine floor. "Mika dear, you're going to pay and pay dearly. What I can promise you is that what I'm going to do to you is going to hurt. And I always keep my promises."

I never imagined my life turning out like this, on the run and nowhere safe to run too. I don't have a family. I'm alone in this world. I have to find a way to protect my baby. The only reason Jett hasn't found me is because I emptied my checking and savings account, shredded my credit card, ditched my cell phone and sold my car. In his line of work as a Private Investigator, I'd be a fool to leave loose ends for him to catch me. One thing I learned early on was to keep finances and love separate. One can never be too sure about their spouse's intentions.

It's ten at night and time to move again. Moonlight pooled in onto the brown carpet as I push myself up on my feet. Kneeling, I reach for my duffle bag checking to make sure all contents are stored safely. I pull out a dark gray sweater and matching pant with Puma socks. I dress and slip into my weathered white steel-toed boots. Snapping up my coat, knitted hat, gloves and scarf, I head for the door, the bag strapped cross bodied, I'm greeted by the biting wind. I'd rather have the wind lash my face than Jett's knife.

Soon there will be a taxi to carry me off to my next destination.