Greek God

Mika thought she could run from me. Stupid. How quickly she forgets what I do for a living. I was a hairs breath away from pinning her down. Oh, I'd give anything to have seen the look on her face when I walked in her hospital room. Restraining order? What's that mean to me? I am the law! A piece of paper will never keep me from her. She just doesn't understand how much I love her. I'll kill her to prove it. If I ever find out another man has sampled what's mine, I'll tie her up and force her to watch me kill him, slowly. And then I'll kill her for spreading herself like that. There's way too much disrespect in this world. People need to know there are consequences to their actions, and I'm just the man who'll help them learn it.

What surprised me the most was to find out Mika was six months pregnant! There's nothing that can be hidden from me. Turns out it was a boy, stillborn. She killed him with her constant running. She'll pay for it with her life. Trips me out, though...I could have had a son, would have named him after me, Jett Avery Jr. I would have taught him how to rule, how to take whatever he wanted. He would have been my pride and joy. Power is the only thing that matters to me and she made me look like a fool like I could handle the married life. Mika sullied my pristine reputation! Now I have these low life peasant rookies serving me pity. The fuck they take me for? Some charity chase? Do I look like I need special assistance?

But tonight I'm going to help myself. If Mika was good for anything, she kept a spotless house. She left everything when she fled for her life. Funny. She thinks her life is important, above mine. Women. I've been to her house multiple times, naked on her bed, wrapped up in her coconut scented sheets. The linen is going stale with her scent. I love the way she smells, drove me wild whenever I was in meters of her. She has a drawer full of silk, lace and cotton panties, and my god, my favorite...thongs. I've used nearly all of them. The Bible clearly states a woman is to do her job in the bedroom but she's reduced me pleasing myself in other ways. It's only a matter of time before I find her, punish her for her crimes.

~~~

"You want me to what?"

"You heard me. Hit me."

"No. I don't want to hit you."

"Every woman needs to know how to defend herself. Fists up."

"No."

"Fists up, Mika."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't. Jab." Now that I'm forced into jabbing the god of Death, I tap him in the chest and wince. "Mika, what was that? That's not going to hurt anyone. Try again."

"Your body is made of adamantium! How would I even hurt you or take you down?"

"Adamantium? What's that?"

"Never mind." I shake my head. How does he not know about adamantium?

"You're going to learn to defend yourself come hell or high water. And trust me, both are coming. Fists up. When you throw a punch, remember to pivot your hips. Come at me." I sigh and give him my best shot.

"Ouch!"

"There's a right way and wrong way to punch. You just found out the wrong way."

"I don't think I like you right now." Thanatos chuckled and I was arrested at the sight of his dimples. The god of Death has dimples?! And why am I just noticing them? He came up from behind demonstrating how wide my hips and stance should be. He instructed that my arms should always shield my face. He showed me jabs, strikes, hooks and these complex holds to subdue an enemy.

"We are going to run these drills until you're confident you can defend yourself."

"You're not giving me a choice?"

"Nope. You'll do fine. We can even test some of this out in the snow. It's in your best interest to learn on various surfaces. Not all will be smooth."

"You know you don't have to do this?"

"I do. And since you're in my care, I'm going to make sure you're as safe as you can be. Now, let's get to it."

"Are you originally from here?"

"Can't tell you that."

"Oh come on," I added after a failed punch.

"Focus Mika."

"I am focusing. If you quit moving, maybe I could land a successful punch."

"A moving target is just that--moving. Where are you from, by the way?"

"Can't tell you that."

"That the way you're going to play it?"
"Absolutely." I stick my tongue out at him and he rushes me, circling my waist lifting me off of the cedar floor, tossing me over his shoulder. "Okay. I give, I give!" I laugh. My heart is in my throat being this far from solid ground. "I'm from Portland."

"Oregon?"

"North Dakota."

"Just a state away. What about your family?"

"Won't you put me down?"

"Not yet. Just in case you want to give me a hard time."

Here I am, slung over Thanatos's shoulder feeling all the blood rush to my head. "I don't have any family." Setting me back on my feet, I stand to face him. His hands have found their home on my waist.

"What do you mean you don't have a family?"

"I'm adopted. I don't have a clue about my biological parents."

"Have you tried finding out?"

"Why would I, to be rejected, again? No, thank you. I'll pass on that."

"You don't know the circumstances, Mika."

"You just don't throw a child away, not for anything in the world. Enough about me, what about your family? Any brothers or sisters? Or is that top secret?"

"I have a younger brother and sister. I'm the oldest. Parents are still living."

"How old are you?"

"40."

"Figures. Greek gods never age."

"Back to Greek mythology again. You need to get out more. How about yourself?"

"37."

"You look like you're in your twenties."

"Black don't crack." I tease.

"The expression isn't lost on me. Back to work."

"What a way to ruin a perfectly lighthearted moment, Zeus."

"He's the god of lightening, I'm the god of Death, remember?" I give him a quick shot to the ribs and back away bouncing in a boxer shuffle. "That's the spirit. Now let's see if you can keep up."

*Looks like things are changing for Mika and Thanatos. Maybe they can find love again. Stay tuned to find out what happens. I also want to give thanks for the reads, votes and comments that a few of you have been gracious enough to give. I appreciate it very much! You ladies (and gentlemen) rock!