07: Age of Communication

The Facebook conversation went as follows:

Art: Hey Jenna, what's goin' on?

Jen: Hey Arthur. Not much.
Sophie's sleeping over, so she's here with me.

Art: Hey Sophie!

Jen: She says hi.

Art: Jordan is spending the night here. He says hi too.

Jen: That's cool. Hi!

Somewhere amid the clicking keys of casual summer talk between 2-4 teenagers, Arthur decided to go shower, inexplicably leaving Jordan alone to communicate with his crush, forgetting that Aaron was doing the same thing mere inches away. He forgot about Sophie entirely, even though they had grown up together.

Jordan and Jenna conversed about their 8th grade graduation trip they had taken weeks prior, and about other events that had transpired throughout the past summer.

After only half an hour, though shorter for Jordan, Arthur returned and rejoined the conversation.

"What'd I miss?" he requested.

"Short version, 8th grade trip, volleyball, Disney movies, Spanish class, high school."

"Spanish class?"

"Yeah, the one that Sophie, she and I are taking at the college with Mrs. Plume."

"Oh gotcha, gotcha. Hey, Mom said go get ready for bed." Jordan headed down the hallway, laid out the sleeping bag, and changed into sleeping clothes. Halfway up the hall, he heard stifled mischievous laughter that sounded eerily similar to Arthur's "up-to-no-good" laugh. Partly curious but mostly worried, he hurried into the family room.

"What did you do?" he questioned.

"Nothing..." said Arthur deviously, drawing out the syllables.

Without another word, Jordan walked up behind him and began to read over his shoulder. As Jordan read, his worry turned to dread, then relief, then disappointment. Arthur was bored, so he pretended to be Jordan still messaging Jenna, and this happened:

Art: Jenna, can I ask you a serious question?

Jen: I guess so

Art: Okay. Will you go out with me?