Stay

Jax pulled up to the Avengers compound, walking inside.

      ✯   

Jax was sitting on a couch in the main room, watching Tony and Rhodey.

Rhodey was trying to learn how to walk with devices on his legs.

Tony was helping him. "This is just a first test."

"Yeah," Rhodey agreed."

"Give me some feedback," Tony told him. "Anything you can think of. Shock absorption. Lateral movement. Cup holder?"

"No, I'm thinking about some AC down there," Rhodey told him, letting go of his shoulder, unable to keep his balance on his own, falling to the floor.

Tony knelt next to him. "Let's go." 

Jax looked up in regret. "I'll give you a hand."

Jax stood, walking closer.

Tony and Jax knelt next to Rhodey, starting to help him stand.

"No, no, don't," Rhodey told them. "Don't help me. Don't help me." He sat up next to them. "138. 138 combat missions. That's how many I've flown. Every one of them could've been my last, but I flew them. Because the fight needed to be fought. It's the same with these Accords. I signed because it was the right thing to do. And, yeah, this sucks. This is... this is a bad beat. But it hasn't changed my mind. Not a thing."

Tony and Jax offered their hands.

Rhodey took them.

Tony and Jax stood, helping Rhodey stand.

"You okay?" Tony asked.

Rhodey nodded. "Oh, yeah."

An elderly man walked in. "Jax 'Stank', you have a visitor."

Rhodey chuckled. "Jax 'Stank'. Thank you for that." He looked at Jax. "I'm never dropping that, by the way."

Jax sighed. "Oh, my God."

"Table for one, Mr. 'Stank'," Rhodey told him. "Please, by the bathroom."

Tony chuckled.

The elderly man looked at Jax. "I'm sorry. I tried not to let her in, but she's very persistent."

Ana walked in.

Jax nodded. "Yeah, that's one for it." Ana raised her eyebrows slightly, tilting her head in acknowledgement. "It's good, Louis. Thank you."

Louis walked out, leaving.

Ana walked toward Jax. "I was hoping we could talk."

"I was hoping we could not," Jax told her.

Ana sighed. "Please, Jax."

Tony and Rhodey looked at Jax.

Jax looked at Tony and Rhodey.

Rhodey looked away.

Tony nodded for him to go.

Jax looked at Ana, sighing.

      ✯   

Jax and Ana walked into an office.

"I'm glad you're back here at the compound," Ana told him. "I don't like the idea of you rattling around in a mansion by yourself."

"I know what this is about, Ana," Jax told her, walking toward the desk, sitting down. "And the reason that I haven't been contacting you is because I know what you would say."