Chapter 4 - Masyaf

It was still very early morning before Altaïr and Nasira arrived in the village of Masyaf. Masyaf held the headquarters of the Hashshashin. As they made to enter the front gates they two guards standing ready stepped forward.

"It's alright she's with me." Said Altaïr, never slowing his horse's pace.

The guards nodded and returned to their post as they two passed through. Nasira's brows rose in amazement as she took in the scenes of the village. It was definitely larger than Aldrahn but not by a lot. The population was perhaps a quarter more in Masyaf. The village sat along the base of a mountain, a perfect way to hide it slightly out of view. The villagers paid little mind to them as they passed by, a difference Nasira noticed right away, her being used to being greeted by the citizens of her village. Despite that, she liked the overall feeling.

Nasira followed behind Altaïr and his white stallion as they began to climb fairly high up towards a large and also temple-like building. As they climbed further Nasira noticed a significant more amount of men wearing the same white robes, but with some differences. Some robes were grey, which Nasira wondered if they were guards. Also, in compared to Altaïr, carried far less weapons. This of course, she knew depended on rank, Novices carried only a long blade, and the amount of weapons grew after that. The hidden blades were worn by all that passed the initiation, it just all came down to how well trained and experienced one was to use it.

Altaïr dismounted the stallion upon approaching a stable filled with quite a few horses. A young boy ran up to greet him with a grin, taking the stallion's reins from Altaïr. Nasira dismounted as well and was greeted by a slightly younger and shyer boy. Nasira smiled to the boy, "Do not worry she will not bite." She said softly, stroking the mare's muzzle.

Asimah whinnyed and lowered her head to push gently on the boy's chest. The boy giggled and with much more confidence took the reins from Nasira and guided the mare away to to be taken care of. Altaïr was already making his way towards the building and Nasira jogged to catch up. As she walked behind him she noticed several men were looking at her, muttering to one another, no doubt wondering why a Sister accompanied Altaïr. She snorted and ignored their stares, continuing to follow Altaïr.

Altaïr's long strides took them up a staircase, Nasira lagging behind as she took in the sights. The markings and overall layout of the building fascinated her and she had to climb the steps by two or more to catch up. As they reached the top Altaïr halted several steps away from the large desk, tall bookcases on either side. A tall man stood facing one of the bookcases, seemingly deep into reading. Beside him was a beautiful stained glass window.

"Altaïr, you have returned I see, and accompanied by a friend." The man said. At first Nasira was expecting him to be angry but his tone was gentle.

"Yes Master, she seeks an audience with you." Replied Altaïr.

The Master turned, his soft green eyes studying Nasira carefully. Nasira felt a little nervous being in his presence, even more so now that several other Brothers that were wandering about stopped to listen. The Master made no move to usher them away. Altaïr moved aside and motioned for her to step forward and face the front directly. Nasira did so with slight hesitation of nervousness.

"Ah, one of the Akhawat-Afya I see, and an Elite no less." His eyes never left hers, "You may dress like one and carry their weapons but first I need proof that you are indeed a Sister of the Shadows."

Nasira saw Altaïr turn slightly, his brown eyes upon her and she wondered if he thought she was an imposter. Nasira nodded and spinning around with her back towards the Master and pulled her left sleeve down only enough to reveal a large tattoo on her shoulder. The tattoo signified she was indeed a member of the Akhawat-Afya. The tattoo was of a black raven almost disappearing into the shadows. The Sisters were always well known for moving unseen in the shadows which is also why they wore black robes. Altaïr studied the tattoo and noticed beside the tattoo was the beginning of a large and deep scar, how long it was he did not know.