March 4th 4103

I don't know why I'm writing in this.

Mother says I have to because I'm failing Language and I could be set back if I don't. I seriously doubt that. In fact, if you're reading this right now— fuck you.

I guess it's a good thing to express opinions as long as the person listening cares enough. Who are you, anyway? How did you find this book?

Here I am, asking someone I don't even know questions through a book, like someone from a book we learned about in History. I should be asking myself questions.

I'm currently sitting on my front stairs, in case you need to know. I have no doubt that my parents are watching me through a window or vent, so here we go with something malarky;

YAY! My life is going perfectly fine! I'm not suffering from slight depression at all!

Oh god, that hurt my mind.

I put the torn book down and closed it, putting it down to my left and placing my head in my hands, sighing. Mother and Father gave me this book for my birthday yesterday, and told me to use it for 'The sake of work!'. It didn't really make any sense though, I just turned 16 and my parents were still trying to make sure I didn't see all the horrors in the world, so giving me a book for my own good was probably something foreign to them.

I don't think they've realized it yet, but the only thing worse than Reformers is having no freedom.

I decided to stay on the stairs a little while longer. Unlike a lot of other people's properties, we had stairs right outside our house, and on the rare occasion my parents would let me stay outside alone, like a normal teenaged girl. Well, ancient teenaged girl. No one sits alone anymore.

Which is a load of bullshit if you ask me.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in, and a deep breath out. It smelled like pollen outside, with it being March and the flowers were starting to come out. They won't start to fully bloom until April comes, the month of which I'm named after.

I asked my parents why they had called me April, and they didn't say because they loved the month April— they said because the name means 'to open', whatever that means. Of course, I know what the sentence means, but knowing my parents, it could mean a totally different thing.

I smiled a little when a gust of breeze came and my brown hair blew a little bit. I hated being inside, and the worst thing about it was there was no sun. The outdoors was so much more natural, and nobody was there to tear it up because everyone always felt safer indoors.

Which I thought was bullshit, too. We're safe everywhere we go, because nowhere is less safe than the next. I don't think anyone realizes that.

I opened my eyes again. The world had a slight blue tint to it, and even though I was sitting under the shade of the house, I still had to squint my eyes due to the brightness of the afternoon sun. Not a lot of houses were in our area— only close family friends and family. The rest cannot be trusted, and they're kept miles away from our 'sanctuary'.

Yeah, right. More like prison.

Actually, not even a prison— a prison was said to be bigger. Try...what's that word again? Oh, cell! Yeah, try a prison cell.

Every weekday the kids from the ages of 5-11 were brought to one teacher, while the kids from the ages of 12-17 were brought to multiple ones. Of course, those kids were the ones found in our Division, because we were taught to fear everything else.

Honestly, how do they think the ancient Neanderthals learned how to be social and gain a civilization? By avoiding contact with other living species? No, they took off their pissy pants and communicated, for Christ's sake.

We all gather near a huge tree in the middle of our small community for Education. There we learn History, Science, Language and Math— all the rest was thought to be as important as a white writing utensil.

I had just gotten back from Education about 15 minutes ago. And about 10 minutes ago I was lectured on and on by my parents because staying by the tree without supervision from an Elder or Adult was said to be a death wish— meanwhile I think it's a free act. And here I am now, getting a breath of fresh air while my parents probably complain to each other and eavesdrop on me.

Ah, humanity. They say Reformers don't have any, but does anyone?

I turned around I little. There was only one window in the front of my house, which my parents were always complaining to me about, like I could fix it for them. They didn't seem to be looking out the window, thank god. If I just left the steps for a little bit—

"April!" I heard Mother shout from inside the house. "Time to come inside!"

I sighed, rolling my eyes the the thousandth time today. "You know, it's a beautiful day outside! Can we eat diner—"

Mother opened the from door. Her short brown hair was in a frenzy and her eyes were wide with fear. "Outside?" she said, finishing my sentence for me. "No, I don't think so, A. Come in, diner's almost ready."

I rolled my eyes when she turned around. If I ever found a Reformer, I'd give them a piece of my mind for making this out of the species that was on top of the food chain.