Chapter Five (Finale)

As dusk swept over the city, I stood on the rooftops, watching and waiting. Ladybug and Chat Noir had disappeared at daybreak, and I had no doubt that they would soon be appearing again, to resolve their differences. I suspected tonight would be the night when each would realize their error in thinking the other to be akumatized.

Sure enough, I soon saw a flash of red darting through the evening sky, moving faster than I ever could. I followed, trying to see where she was going. I caught up to her in Montmartre, where she stopped at the foot of Sacre-Coeur. And there she waited. I hid myself in the belfry, watching and listening.

"This is taking so long!" Hawkmoth exclaimed angrily in my head. "It's been a full day and I still don't have those Miraculous! Tonight is the time to act!"

"Don't worry, Hawkmoth," I whispered. "It may take a few days, but my plan is foolproof. And when I'm done, they'll happily hand over their Miraculous to me."

"I'm growing impatient," he snarled. "You have one day. And if I don't have the Miraculous by then, say goodbye to your powers."

"Why?" I asked. "If you take away my powers, you get nothing, and you'll have to find some other way to get the Miraculous. And how many times have those plans failed? You'll save no time by creating another villain in my place. In all likelihood, if you take my powers away, you won't get the Miraculous at all."

Hawkmoth growled. "I don't like your attitude, Volpina. Perhaps I'll take your powers away just for that."

I laughed. "Hawkmoth, I want to see Ladybug fall just as much as you do. I know what that feels like. And that's how I know you won't take my powers away. Because deep down, you know this is the best chance you have. I've turned Ladybug and Chat Noir on each other, and that's far more than any other villain has been able to accomplish."

"That's not actually true," Hawkmoth retorted. "Dislocoeur did the same thing, and far more easily."

"And look how easily that was derailed. With a simple kiss. It's because Ladybug knew how it happened, and still had faith in Chat Noir. Once I've destroyed their trust in each other, it'll never return, and taking the Miraculous will be child's play."

"Fine, then. Take the time you need. But if you let me down, know that I will make you suffer."

I shrugged. "Doesn't bother me."

A minute passed in silence. I watched Ladybug pacing at the foot of the cathedral, evidently waiting for Chat Noir. Then she looked directly up at the bell tower where I was hiding.

"I know you're watching me," she said calmly. "Come on down from there and let's talk."

I froze for a second. Was she talking to me? If so, how did she know I was there?

I then sensed motion on the other side of the belfry. It was Chat Noir. True to his name, he'd hidden perfectly in the shadows. I hadn't even noticed him just a few paces away.

Fortunately, it didn't look as if he had noticed me. Extending his staff, he leaped out of the tower and gracefully landed by Ladybug's side. "Glad to see you, my lady. Now would you mind explaining what's going on?"

Ladybug nodded. "There's been a misunderstanding. You've been trying to fight me because you believed me to be akumatized. And I've been trying to fight you because I believed you to be akumatized."

"You told me to give you my Miraculous."

"I'm sure I did. And you told me the same thing."

"But how is that possible?" Chat Noir asked, confused. "I never told you anything of the sort."