Chapter 10: Mysterious Roomate

(Brandon's version) 

"Hey Brandon!" I glanced up at the voice, wondering what else was needed. We were in the stock room, at the back of the hotel that opened up to a garage, large enough to fit two trucks. Imported glassware from America had arrived in one of Gramp's truck and some of the guys and brawny girls working there were helping unload them. I was in and out, following up with whatever Gramps needed which led me here.

"Yea?" I answered when I spotted the owner of the voice. Bryan. He gently slid a large, wide and thin package, balancing it carefully so it wouldn't fall. I rose to help him, surprised at how heavy it was.

"Mr.States ordered this portrait earlier in the year but something went wrong with the delivery," Bryan explained. "To his office," he instructed as we carried the portrait cautiously, manuevering ourselves so that it would fit through the door. He continued explaining. "They must have jotted down the wrong address or something but anyway, they found it. Your grandfather was in shreds over this. Boy, will he be glad to see this."

"I wonder what the portait is of?" I mused aloud. Bryan managed a cautious shrug.

"Beats me." 

We got to the office, our backs almost in shambles and breath laboured. Grandpa on the other hand...

"You've found it!" he grinned, surveying the packaged object with glee. He slapped my back, taking out what Oxygen was left in my lungs. Hearing me wheez, he grimaced guiltily and handed me a cup of water. "My lucks looking up."

"Glad to hear it, sir." Bryan nodded. "I gotta get back to the boys," he jabbed his hand out the door. I glanced at him, noting his sweat drenched clothes and heavy breathing. 

"You should give him a raise," I whispered to Gramps after Bryan left. He chuckled in agreement, before returning his attention to the portrait.

"So..." I raised my eyebrows inquistively.

"You'll see," was his evasive answer. I shook my head, curious about the portrait. He returned behind his desk, looking up at me over his glasses. I knew that look. "So how are you, boy?"

"Subtle, gramps." I sat infront of his desk in exhaustion.

"Well, if it makes you feel better. You look less miserable then you did when you first arrived." I coughed. Haven't touched a drink either. Point for me. 

"Yeah..I've been out of it-" I winced at my hoarse voice. That portrait really was heavy. "...lately." Gramps nodded, sensing my relunctance on the subject. Just don't mention her name 

"How was your official first day in London?" he asked instead to my relief. My mind wandered through the uneventful morning. A memory piqued.

"Apart from the guys, I met this girl." Gramps grunted.

"The one shouting orders and entertaining paparazzi?" At first I was confused before I realized who he was talking about.

"Oh I'm not talking about Lady Ann..." I trailed off. "This one was a small red headed girl."

"Oh Lady Haile' Scotts!" Hmm I didn't know she was a Lady too . "She's a nice girl. She thinks she's here because of her family meddling but I met the girl when she was still in High School. Well mannered, not too snobby like-" he cut himself off guiltily realizing he was going to complain about someone..snobby. "Anyway, I saw real character."

"So she's here because of your epiphany?"

"She's here because she was meant to be here." Gramps sorted out some papers lazily still talking. "Her parents fixed three positions. She needed her bodyguard with her. Apparently, someone was giving her trouble." My curiosity piqued.