Chapter 25

-Nicolai-

I shut my bedroom door and toss my jacket down on my bed, "I don't know how. I don't! Rozalia, how can I do this?" I plop down in a chair, letting my face fall into my hands.

"We will find a way. We always find a way."
"What do you suggest? All you do is cause pain!"
"Quiet Dmitri! She is among us, lest you forget!"

I get up from the chair, "Oh, I know that!" She walks me over to the mirror and there I see her glaring at me. Without moving her lips or mine, she says, "Right now, Jennifer is playing nice and making things comfortable for Ivy. She has done no harm to her. We know this game, as we have played it all these years."
I shoot my finger at her, "You have played it–Not me."

"Stop splitting hairs you fool! This is a situation we need to keep a close eye on! I am more aware of her lingering around Ivy than you. We must let this play out for now...then we will act when the time is right."
"What do you think I should do in the meantime? Stay in her room? I can't do that." I say.

"As I told her; I will be nearby."
"Who is Ivy to you? You say she reminds you of you but what does that mean? Why can't we just let her go?"

"I'm getting tired of this conversation. How about...I show you your true face?" She curls my lips into a crooked smile and I watch wrinkles slowly begin to spread across my face. I start to pant anxiously as I see age spots filling my forehead and my nose and ears growing larger. "No no no no NO!" She's forcing me to watch this. I'm growing older and older; so old that I'm shaking in the mirror, almost unable to stand anymore.

"Do you think Ivy could love you like this?"
"Stop! Please don't do this to me!" I beg.
"Without me...you could never have her."

Suddenly, I'm back to normal. I blink many times at myself and bring my hands up to feel my face. Gradually, I become very enraged. She's right, and I hate that with a passion. I growl, snatch both sides of the mirror and throw it down, "RAHH!!! DAMN YOU!"

"Dmitri," I hear behind me.
Huffing, I glance back at the door. Corneliu.

"Go to bed...you need sleep. I have been listening to you. I will do what I can to keep Jennifer away from this...girl–Only for you. I cannot do much though–You know that." Still shaking with anger, a tear forms in my eye and rides down my cheek. I am unable to say anything to him. I take in a deep breath and let it out, then slowly pick up the mirror, go clean my hands in my bathroom and take a long hot shower. As the water falls over me, I stare at the wall.

"You will be rewarded..."
"For what?" I sigh.
"I just might let you keep this one."

I shut my eyes with a small twitch of the lips that turns into a smile and I chuckle under my breath, "Your words...do not faze me...one bit."

"Go on and think that. We have a big day tomorrow. I will be good."
"Oh lovely, another sweet lie."

"I don't like your attitude."
"I don't like you." She makes me growl and punch the stone wall, denting it. I gasp to the pain.
"Now go to bed."

I grit my teeth, inhaling deeply.

-Maria-

I look at the clock as Christine returns to the maids' office. It's 6:46am. My stomach is growling–It hurts. I have to eat again...but I can never be fully satisfied. Since night before last, when I had that extremely terrible pain in my eyeteeth, this has been happening to me. It's strange but I think they've grown and they're sharper. I'm most likely exaggerating. This is beginning to feel very unnatural.