Chapter 10

-Ivy-

Walter pulls out a chair and I sit down at a very nice antique dining table in a room that doesn't appear to be a dining room. The windows are long and the drapes are red, and I see there are more paintings here, but most of them are of nice scenery rather than people. Around the table, there are 8 dark chairs with high backs, and at the far end there's a larger, more important-looking one; it's nicer than all of them. I already figure that's where either Mr. Vladoiu or Mr. Francis sits. This most definitely isn't the main dining room. Why someone would have more than one though, I don't know.

Pamela comes and sets a nice plate of pancakes, bacon, eggs and some toast in front of me. For a drink, she gives me a glass of orange juice. This is so beyond what I would have asked for. I don't know if I can eat that much! The table is beautifully set up; a large fruit bowl in the center with a candle on both sides. After she leaves, I jokingly ask Walter, "All of this–just for me?" I look up at him with a faint grin. He bows his head slowly, lacing his hands together at the front, "No, the table is always set like that."
"Oh..."

I pick up the fork and knife. Hey, they're fancy too!
Of course they're fancy stupid...
Gosh, where did this stuff come from?!

"Walter, why don't you sit down?"
"Oh no Miss Ivy, I wouldn't do that."
"Why?"
"It's inappropriate." He says.
"Oh..." I lift an eyebrow. "I'll talk to you while you stand there and watch me eat..."
He nods at me once, permissively.

I start cutting the pancake. "I want to talk about last night..." I take my first bite. Wow...it's amazing! This is great food.

"About last night?"
"Did you hear anything last night–like banging on the walls or something?" Maybe he heard it...

"What do you mean?" Great, that's not a good sign.
"Well, call me crazy but, I heard female whispers and banging in the walls... I called the maids' quarters last night but the maid that answered the phone said no one was up here."
"Perhaps you were imagining things." No! I know what I heard!

Narrowing my eyes slightly, I say, "Perhaps..."
"Things are quiet here."

He says that, yeah–but he's talking about the rest of the castle. Oh well...I don't live here. It's not my problem if it's haunted, but I'm always going to be unnerved about this place. After this, I don't think I'll ever come back.

Now the journal... "That still doesn't explain it." I mutter.
"I beg your pardon?"

I look at him again, realizing my thoughts were a little too loud. "I'm just trying to figure out the issue with my journal."
"We'll find it." He assures. Then he goes silent.

"Ms. Summers..." he finally speaks, "What was that back there in the grand room earlier? You seemed...distressed, when I saw you before your friend departed." Wait, the face I was making was that noticeable? Man, that's not the only thing that occurred...

I look at him, almost astounded, "You saw what happened? And please, just call me Ivy." I slightly smile at the last sentence. The formalities are actually getting a little annoying, to be honest. He nods seriously at me. I drop my gaze to the plate, "Well...have you ever suddenly been overwhelmed by many emotions at once?-Like you absorbed what someone else feels or felt in a matter of say–less than a second?" His eyes go thin in thought. He quietly says, "I'm not sure what you mean." I place my chin on my hands, "I don't know... It happened to me on the way to the grand room just before I saw you with the maids. I felt loss, anger and starved at the same time. I know it sounds crazy but...that's what happened." "Hmm..." He looks skeptical but his curiosity is growing at the same time. "This place can be overwhelming at times, I suppose. Maybe that's it?" He says.