He Let Her Go

So sorry it took so long but here is the highly requested next chapter of 'Letting Go'!!

This is in Emma's POV and I hope you enjoy it. :)

Song: Take Care - Drake ft. Rihanna 

***
Pain. Pure, unadulterated pain lanced through her body as the hope in Julian's eyes faded to be replaced by a thin sheen of tears. Emma had never made Julian cry before, and the thought that she'd caused him such sadness chipped at her very core.

He was in the very essence of her, in the air she breathed and the blood through her veins; as he had always been since they were young.

You're doing this for Julian. He may hate you but this is what he would've done for you. Think about Julian.

She repeated the mantra that had ran through her mind endlessly as Mark's soft lips had sealed her own, but it was hard not to question herself when Julian stood against the door, radiating heartbreak and disappointment.

The heartbreak hurt Emma but it was the disappointment that wounded her the most; Julian had never been disappointed in any of her actions despite how reckless or implusive.

Before she could even lift her shamed gaze, Julian had bolted away and Mark's eyes caught her own.

"I think it's safe to say that he believed us."

Untamed amusement flittered over his face and Emma was once again reminded of the Fae, a side of him that had seemingly permanently etched itself into his character.

Unable to erase the torment on her face, she simply nodded and looked to the ground, tears threatening to spill onto her cheeks. She deserved every throb of sorrow; this was what she got for loving Julian and breaking his heart.

It was her fault she had fallen so deeply in love with the one person she couldn't have and it was because of this love that she had to let him go.

A heavy silence spread between them and she was surprised to find Mark's eyes clear and focused on her once she lifted her head, the reckless abandon in them replaced by concern and sympathy.

"Emma, are you certain that this is what you want?" A strand of pale hair fell over his features, shielding his delicate face and making him look all the more beautiful than he was.

She opened her mouth to reply but closed it again- struck into silence with self-doubt.

Was this what she wanted?

The answer came as swift as lightning.

Of course this wasn't what she wanted; if this were all a fairytale, she and Julian would've lived in a world free of the tragic consequences that came with falling in love with your parabatai.

In a world in which they could candidly express their feelings and live along the beach someday, surrounded by beautiful children of their own.

But such a world was a fantasy and Emma had left her childhood behind long ago.

This was reality.

It may not be what she wanted, but it was what she needed. Her and Julian both.

"They would destroy their families, the others they loved. Death would surround them until eventually they died themselves."

Jem's words rang in her ears, reaffirming her decision. She couldn't let their love destroy those they loved- including themselves.

Someday when they'd found partners of their own, he'd thank her for this. He'd thank her for allowing him to continue his life, even if it wasn't with each other. Even if it broke them.

This was the only way.

"Yes. It is."

Emma met Mark's gaze without flinching but he looked past her shoulder wistfully, a twisted mixture of longing and confusion shadowing his face.

"Love is such a... treacherous emotion. It can bring us light and happiness in the darkest of times yet in the blink of an eye can be replaced by pain and heartache."

Emma's dark eyes widened in surprise but Mark continued as if in a daze.

"Love is difficult," he declared, brows furrowed slightly and eyes downcast.

"L-love?" Emma stuttered, her heart pounding at what felt like a thousand miles per hour as her stomach flipped painfully.

"Isn't that why you're doing this?" Mark cocked his head curiously to the side but the faraway look in his eyes remained.

"You don't understand," Emma whispered and his hand flew to the base of his neck as if to search for something before limply dropping to the side.

"I may understand better than you think," Mark replied cryptically before exiting her room and she was left with nothing but the sound of her own thoughts raging in her head.

***

I know this is pretty short and not much happens but please comment, share and vote!!

Thanks for being patient and make sure to add Letting Go to your reading list so you know when a new chapter is up :)

Thank you all for reading and being patient and awesome and ILY GUYS 💞