Chapter 5 - Her Eternal Sleep

Geoffrey’s POV

He didn’t have time for any of this. If only he had said no in the first place…

Geoffrey reached a small tomb, the opening closed off by black gates. He sighed and floated through the gates before descending into the depths of the tomb. Inside was a glass case holding the body of a young woman with the same jet black hair that he once had. She held beautiful features and gave the impression of a peaceful sleep in her eternal rest. Geoffrey tapped the glass of the coffin and waited for the spirit to come out.

The Soul of the woman rose and stood in front of him. She wore a long flowing dress and gloves, a large stab wound visible on the top of her partially exposed chest. Her hair was dark blue and well kept, unlike Geoffrey’s who always looked like he had just gotten out of bed. She smiled at him and nodded, “What would be the reason for your visit this time, brother?”

“Peace is all that I wish for this time, Jessica. The new girl is certainly quite troublesome to deal with.” He frowned, leaning against one of the stone cold walls.

His sister sighed and smiled patiently, “May I ask how she has caused you such frustration?”

“She assumes that just because my career was successful that my life was also as such. Is that all people care about these days? The success of an individual rather than their struggles?” He tensed at the last word, his expression almost becoming pained.

Jessica’s smile turned sad as she floated over to her brother and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Have you tried actually explaining to her your struggles so that she can actually understand your life better?”

The young man hesitated for a moment before shaking his head. “No. And I believe it would be best that no one but you knew. “

“Geoffrey, the only way you’re going to be able to feel any better is by venting to someone. She might be able to help you get over it, anyway, you never know.”

“I highly doubt it. You haven’t met the girl anyway. How do you know if she will or not?”

“I never said that I knew for definite, but it doesn’t help to try.” She took her hand off of his shoulder and looked at the stairs up to the graveyard and back to Geoffrey. “Would you like to accompany me up there? I would much like to see Martin, if you don’t mind.”

“You still like that guy? He’s such a bore. I still can’t see what you see in a guy as dull as he is.” He scoffed but proceeded to escort her up the stairs nonetheless.

“Oh hush. Just because he doesn’t share the same interests as you doesn’t mean he isn’t an interesting person. Anyway, he’s charming and very romantic.” Jessica smiled fondly as she thought of the man. He wasn’t a particularly unique person in looks. His hair was a light blue and kept short but neat. He wore a tweed suit and glasses and died around 1956 after his accidental murder by another scientist. He was quite a charmer though despite his rather plain looks.

As they reached the surface, the two went their separate ways as Jessica went off to find her studious lover. Geoffrey wandered around, attempting to take on his sister’s advice and looking around for any sign of Katie. Hopefully she wasn’t too offended by his actions. That would only complicate things further.

After about an hour of searching, he found her by the small cluster of trees around the children’s graves playing with Suzie and a boy ghost. He couldn’t help but smile a little at the scene and went over to talk to Katie.

Katie’s POV

Katie was surprised with how fast the two children were, especially Billy who seemed pretty sickly. His face was covered in soot and his hair was long and tangled, not much different to Suzie’s hair. After giving up on trying catching the two, she saw Geoffrey walking over. Her smile faded as she cocked an eyebrow at him, crossing her arms, “Yes?”

“U-Um…I’d just like to apologise for my behaviour earlier…it was…uncalled for.” He muttered, looking down at the floor rather embarrassed.

Her expression softened a little, but her smile refused to return. She sighed and uncrossed her arms, “I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have judged you so quickly. It would help if you told me why your life was so bad though.”

“And that’s why I came to you.” He frowned a little, obviously reluctant to do so. “It may take a while though.”

“I have all the time in the world.” Katie smiled.

“Well then.” He started, “I suppose I better start from the beginning then…”