Chapter 7 - The Grieving Wife

Katie’s POV

Isabelle was an odd woman for certain. For one thing, she was always floating, the rags of her long dress never touching the floor. Another thing was that her hair also seemed to float, waving around as if she was underwater. The final most oddest, and unnerving, thing about her was that she was always screaming for one reason or another about her husband betraying her.

Katie never knew what her husband did to her, but what she had concluded was that he either left her and caused her to commit suicide, or that he murdered Isabelle. Nonetheless, she was determined to befriend this odd woman, despite Geoffrey’s warnings.

She met her in the middle of the woods inside the graveyard, where she was floating in the middle of a clearing and screaming her husband’s name. Katie took a deep breath and went over to her before tapping her shoulder. “U-Um, Isabelle?” She said in a kind, but nervous voice.

The woman turned around to her, her eyes glowing white and her mouth in a scowl. She stared at her, stopping her screaming temporarily to here what the young woman had to say. “Um, yeah hi. I’m Katie and I’m kinda new here. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She smiled, holding out her hand for Isabelle to shake.

Isabelle looked down at the hand then back at Katie before screaming in her face and turning around again, screaming about her husband. Katie sighed and thought for a moment before coming up with an idea. “Uhm, excuse me. Sorry to bother you again…” Isabelle turned around again, snarling at Katie. Katie tried to keep her composure as she asked the woman, “W-What was your husband’s name exactly?”

Victor Brown.” She hissed at Katie, her teeth bared.

Katie nodded, “If I find out where he is now, will that put you to rest?”

The woman thought for a moment before nodding, “Certainly. I must make him pay for his sins.

Katie grinned before nodding and running off, searching for Mr. Foster. She soon found the old man nearby behind a bush, seemingly admiring Isabelle from afar. “Isn’t she beautiful?” He sighed dreamily, obviously smitten with her.

“I guess that’s one way of putting it. Do you want to help put her to rest and stop her screaming so much?” Katie asked.

He looked up at her with wide eyes and smiled, “Of course. How may be of assistance to her?”

“Find out where Victor Brown lives and tell her. Maybe once she ‘punishes’ him, she’ll be a bit calmer.” Katie smiled back, glad that he was so enthusiastic about it.

Mr. Foster got up, brushed off his old trousers and went off, determined to complete his mission.

Not long after, he returned with the address of a nearby cemetery. Katie thanked him and went up to Isabelle again, informing her of the address. The woman absorbed the information and, for once, smiled at Katie, “Thank you, child. Maybe now, he will understand my pain.” With that, she was off, travelling out of the cemetery to bring justice to her husband.

Katie sighed in relief. At least there wouldn’t be so much screaming in the graveyard now.