the last chapter

I woke up to someone nudging my arm. I turned over to see Tayler crouched down next to my bed.

"What?" I asked, rubbing my eyes. Once my vision was normal, I saw that his eyes were red and he had been crying.

"Joey." He whispered. I didn't know what was going on, but I felt my body go numb.

"What? What happened? Is he okay?" I asked. I quickly sat up and looked for my phone.

"No. He's in the hospital." Tayler said. He couldn't even talk. I couldn't move.

"Why?" I choked out.

"He uh, he tried to kill himself, Kaylee." He said. His choice cracked and I saw a tear fall down his cheek. I felt my heart shatter and my lungs stop working correctly.

"What?" I whispered. I felt tears falling down my face, and I felt dizzy.

"They, they found cuts on his wrist. And Bella found him in the bathroom with an empty bottle of pills." Tayler said. I didn't say anything after that. I just looked at my clock that read 4:02 in the morning. I grabbed my phone and saw that Joey has texted me two hours ago.

Joey:
I'm so fucking done with all of this. I can't be happy. There something wrong with me and I don't know what. But I've been getting lots of comment and messages telling me to kill myself. And I've decided to just listen to them. If the world hates me that much then might as well do then a favor. You're the only thing in this entire world that makes me happy and if I can't have you, then what's the point? I caused all this pain. Now goodbye. I love you.

"I wanna see him." I told Tayler. He nodded and we walked into the living room. Mom was sitting on the couch, crying silently.

"I'm gonna take her to see him." Tayler told her.

"Be safe." My mom told us. Then me and Tayler walked out to his car. We got in and he started to drive. I silently cried as I watched the city out the window.

--

We arrived at the hospital and I saw Bella and Sophia sitting outside the room with their mom. I saw her give me a broken smile and I gave her one too.

"Can I see him?" I asked his mom. She nodded and I went into the room. I saw Joey hooked up to an IV and heart monitor. He looked horrible.

"Hi." I quietly said. He turned his head to look at me. I saw the pain in his eyes.

"Hey." Joey said. I walked towards him and stood next to his bed. I put my hand on his and gave him the best smile that I could.

"I'm sorry." Joey said. I looked down and didn't know what to say.

"Joey, I still love you and that's never going to change. But please, promise me you'll never hurt yourself again." I told him.

"I promise. I love you too." He said. I looked him in the eyes and I kissed his lips. I kissed them with more passion than I ever have. I felt his hand softly lay on my cheek and I supported myself by putting my hands on his chest. I pulled away from the kiss and he looked at me.

"I'll never leave you again." He said.

"Never?" I asked.

"I promise. I'll love you forever." He told me. I smiled. I had my happiness back. I had Joey back.

"Forever." I repeated.