Chapter 11 (Sara POV)

Typically, I would have found the nearest place to hide. I would have sat there until the moment had passed, then emerged.

Of course, the only times where I've had to hide have been during school drama, when two people who were total strangers to me were  confronting each other and forcing everyone next to them into the drama over some boy, or some school assignment, or some clique.

Never in my life has anything ever been as serious as this.

"Please, Vanessa, don't do this," Google says

"You didn't seem to care this much when we attacked Jordan. You weren't even there."

"I couldn't help."

"Because of her?" She gestures toward me.

"It wasn't...yes, it was."

"But she knows. You could have told her. You could have flown over to your house. Maybe Jordan wouldn't have lost his wings."

I know I need to step in. She's making him feel guilty. But I refrain.

"You don't even deserve your wings. Surrender them," she says.

I can't refrain anymore.

"I clearly didn't know when you attacked," I start, "I didn't even know until today."

Google looks at me. "You don't want to argue with them. You can't escape. Not with the minimal training you've had."

"But I do. I want to tell them that it isn't all your fault. I want them to know that. I want you to know that."

Vanessa interrupts. "You don't fully understand. He is the reason I am here. The brother who turned his back on me, the one who made me sacrifice my wings in order to save him. Even though he could have saved himself."

"You're lying," I say.

"No," Google begins, "she's not. I could have saved myself." He looks away from everyone. "I was just too afraid."

"And since then, I have vowed to get revenge. I won't stop until I have his wings. And yours. And Melissa's. Everyone with wings will be reduced to regular people, like the rest of us," Vanessa says, "I'll start with yours."

Vanessa and her group approach me. I have no clue what to do. I have no idea how to roll my wings back into my shoulders, how to move with my wings out, how to fly away. So I sit, terrified.

Google stops them.

"Take my wings instead. Take mine. Force me to join you. Imprison me. Brainwash me. As long as she is okay. The attack was eleven years ago. And I have spent every day of those eleven years in guilt. I don't need any more."

"But then you would be satisfied, knowing you got what you deserved. It's too simple."

"Vanessa, we are relatives. We are siblings. If you have any heart left you, any compassion towards your family at all, make sure Sara is okay."

"Her name...her name is Sara?"

The look on her face softens, and I wonder what my name has to do with her.

"Postpone the assignment. We will complete it another day."

A bunch of complaints come from her group.

"I am your commander! We are postponing the assignment! Now let's leave! Back to headquarters!"

She looks back at Google. Google looks back at her. Their eye contact lingers as Google says "Thank you, Vanessa."

Her look changes to an I-hope-you're-happy kind of expression. She whips her head around, and leads her group back the way they came.